AND REGULATORY COMMITTEE
Meeting to be held via Zoom
Tuesday 1 March 2022 commencing at 2.00pm
SUPPLEMENTARY ORDER PAPER
5. Petition - Save the Atkinson tree in York Bay, Eastbourne from removal (22/425)
Report No. IARCC2022/1/51 by the Head of Democratic Services 2
“That the recommendations contained in the report be endorsed.”
24 February 2022
Report no: IARCC2022/1/51
Petition - Save the Atkinson tree in York Bay, Eastbourne from removal
Purpose of Report
1. To inform the Committee of the petition received from Fiona Christeller in regard to the proposed removal of the Atkinson tree from York Bay, Eastbourne.
That the Committee:
(1) receives the petition from Fiona Christeller in regard to the proposed removal of the Atkinson tree from York Bay, Eastbourne attached as Appendix 1 to the report;
(2) agrees to refer the petition to officers to inform their work;
(3) notes that a report will be presented to the Committee at its next meeting on 3 May 2022 that will include a response to the areas raised by this petition; and
(4) thanks the petitioner for the work that went into the petition.
2. Local democracy in New Zealand not only provides for community members to elect representatives, but also for the community to have a say in projects, policies and strategies shaping the community they live in. This involvement sometimes includes Council receiving petitions from the public. Community input into local government is an important element in the governance process and in the democratic life of the country.
3. A petition from
Fiona Christeller was received by the Chief Executive on
16 February 2022. The petition contains 221 signatures.
Climate Change Impact and Considerations
4. Climate change considerations are not considered relevant to consideration of this matter, which addresses receiving a petition.
5. It is proposed
that information regarding issues raised in this petition will be covered off
in a report to be considered at the next Committee meeting on
3 May 2022.
6. The petition complies with Council’s Standing Order 17.1 in that it is less than 150 words, contains more than 20 signatures and was received by the Chief Executive within five working days before the meeting.
7. There are no financial considerations in relation to receiving the petition.
Appendix 1: Petition - Save the Atkinson tree in York Bay from removal
Appendix 2: Signatures
Author: Kathryn Stannard
Head of Democratic Services
Approved By: Jarred Griffiths
Acting Director Strategy and Engagement