2                                       23 September 2021

HUTT CITY COUNCIL

 

Komiti Kaupapa Taiao

Climate Change and Sustainability Committee

 

Minutes of a meeting held in the Council Chambers, 2nd Floor, 30 Laings Road,
Lower Hutt on

 Thursday 23 September 2021 commencing at 2.00pm

 

 

PRESENT:

Cr J Briggs (Chair)

Mayor C Barry (until 3.35pm)

 

Cr K Brown

Cr S Edwards

 

Deputy Mayor T Lewis

Cr A Mitchell

 

Cr S Rasheed (Deputy Chair)

Cr N Shaw

 

APOLOGIES:                  There were no apologies.

 

IN ATTENDANCE:        Ms A Blackshaw, Director Neighbourhoods and Communities (via audio-visual link)

Ms H Oram, Director Environment and Sustainability (via audio-visual link)

Mr J Scherzer, Head of Climate and Solid Waste

Mr D Uppal, Solid Waste Manager

Mr J Frericks, Ecology/Horticulture Advisor

Mr B Hodgins, Strategic Advisor

Mr J Linders, Advisor, Energy and Carbon

Mr A Quinn, Project Manager (Naenae) (via audio-visual link) (part meeting)

Mr D Burt, Senior Advisor, Climate and Sustainability (via audio-visual link) (part meeting)

Ms K Glanville, Senior Democracy Advisor (via audio-visual link)

Ms J Randall, Democracy Advisor

 

 

PUBLIC BUSINESS

 

 

1.       APOLOGIES 

 There were no apologies.

2.

Opening formalities - Karakia Timatanga

Kia hora te marino

Kia whakapapa pounamu te moana

He huarahi mā tātou i te rangi nei

Aroha atu, aroha mai

Tātou i a tātou katoa

Hui e Tāiki e!

 

May peace be wide spread

May the sea be like greenstone

A pathway for us all this day

Let us show respect for each other

For one another

Bind us together!

  

3.       PUBLIC COMMENT

Comments are recorded under the item to which they relate.      

4.       CONFLICT OF INTEREST DECLARATIONS  

There were no conflict of interest declarations.   

5.       Recommendations to Council - Te Kaunihera o Te Awa Kairangi - 5 October 2021

a)

Cities race to zero (21/1433)

 

The Senior Advisor, Climate and Sustainability elaborated on the report.

In response to a question from a member, the Senior Advisor, Climate and Sustainability noted central government would soon be announcing an emissions reduction plan which could require organisations to meet more ambitious targets. He added the content of the plan was not yet clear.

Members agreed it was important to show leadership on climate change and meet Council’s commitments to carbon reduction. The Chair noted the recommendations would provide clear targets for the Climate Change Lead Group as it worked alongside the community to co-design a climate change road map for the future.

 

RECOMMENDED:    (Cr Briggs/Mayor Barry)      Minute No. CCASC 21401

“That the Committee recommends that Council:

(1)   agrees to join the ‘Cities Race to Zero’ climate initiative;

(2)   reconfirms its commitment to keep global warming to below 1.5 degrees;

 

(3)   reconfirms its commitment to reach net-zero emissions by no later than 2050, preferably sooner;

 

(4)   pledges to set a target of halving city-wide emissions by 2030 as part of the work to develop a city-wide roadmap;

 

(5)   pledges to continue to work with the Lower Hutt community on a city-wide roadmap in order to plan and begin implementing inclusive and equitable climate action by 2022;

 

(6)   commits to reporting to the Committee on progress annually; and

 

(7)   invites our partners, businesses and residents to join Council in recognising the global climate challenge and help us deliver on science-based actions to overcome it.”

b)

Eligibility to receive Council's kerbside service, and landfill fee policy for charities (21/1430)

 

The Head of Climate Change and Sustainability elaborated on the report.

In response to questions from members, the Head of Climate Change and Sustainability confirmed the survey of local charities had been forwarded to all the charities for which Council held contact details. He agreed to contact as many charities in the Hutt Valley as possible to make them aware of proposed changes to the policy. He further agreed charities could be offered a free waste audit funded from the waste disposal levy. He added a waste audit would help charities set up new systems to divert more waste from the landfill.

The Chair noted the Committee would be reviewing the policy in 12 months’ time. He suggested this would be an opportunity to evaluate waste volumes and the level of use waste audits were receiving from charities.

 

recommended:    (Cr Briggs/Cr Shaw)              Minute No. CCASC 21402

“That the Committee recommends that Council:

(1)   notes that Council’s kerbside collection service is currently limited to residential and rural properties;

(2)   agrees to make Council’s kerbside collection service (rubbish, recycling and green waste) available on an opt-in basis to four other rating categories: CE – Community Education, and CF1-CF3 – Community Facilities – outlined in Appendix 1 attached to the report;

(3)   agrees that this service extension is limited to Council’s standard service offerings for bin sizes, and does not extend to providing a customised service to cater for commercial-type waste volumes;

(4)   agrees to offer free kerbside recycling to the seven Marae based in Lower Hutt;

(5)   notes that for a number of years, Council has provided an exemption to charities regarding landfill fees, for the first 25 tonnes of waste disposed, but no formal policy exists;

(6)   agrees to change the approach and to establish a policy as follows:

a.     charities continue to be exempt from any fees in relation to clean green waste loads, up to 25 tonnes per year;

b.     charities receive a heavily discounted fee for any rubbish or mixed loads, from 1 July 2022, with the fee equivalent to the NZ Government’s waste levy for any given year, up to 25 tonnes per year (for 2022/23, the discounted fee for charities would be set at $30/t);

c.     charities continue to pay normal landfill fees for any waste above 25 tonnes per year;

d.    eligibility is limited to charities based in, or operating, within the Hutt Valley only; and

e.     Council could offer free waste audits and advice for charities based in Lower Hutt, with a view to identifying waste minimisation and cost savings opportunities; and

(7)   agrees to review this new policy 12 months after it takes effect.”

  

6.

Updates on Council's biodiversity action (21/1208)

Report No. CCASC2021/4/121 by the Ecology/Horticulture Advisor

 

Speaking under public comment, Ms S Bain advised the forest in Days Bay was dying. She added that regenerating bush along the Eastern Hills was disappearing due to the growing number of deer destroying regenerating bush. She considered increased funding for deer culls and to monitor deer numbers would be needed to save the forest and the bird life.

In response to a question from a member, Ms Bain explained past deer culls had not been enough to make an impression in the exponential growth of deer numbers around the Lower Hutt hills.

Speaking under public comment, Mr A Thompson advised deer had become a severe problem on the Eastern Hills near his home in the past few years. He explained they had caused devastating damage to the bush and forest. He said the understorey of the bush had been stripped by the deer and there were signs of slippage. He considered an ongoing strategy was needed to remove the deer so that the hills could recover.

The Ecology/Horticulture Advisor elaborated on the report. He confirmed the undergrowth on the hills around Lower Hutt was not regenerating quickly due to the growth of deer numbers. He noted there was more instability on the hillsides as a result. He outlined an expanded work programme developed alongside the Department of Conservation and Greater Wellington Regional Council for the coming year to provide a wider range of ungulate control.  He said this included broadening the areas targeted for control with a DNA survey to monitor and better understand deer populations. He noted it would take three to four years for the impact of these control measures to be evident. He agreed to report to the November meeting on the planned work programme.

In response to questions from members, the Ecology/Horticulture Advisor advised Council’s  Biodiversity Strategy was in its very early stages. He said the first phase would involve consultation with mana whenua followed by community consultation. He advised this could begin before the Government’s Proposed National Policy Statement  - Indigenous Biodiversity was released if necessary. He agreed to report back on an online calendar of community activities to the appropriate Council officer. He further agreed that with the help of volunteers it might be possible to come to an agreement with other authorities on the control of pest plants on their land.

The Chair suggested community organisations that partner with Council could be invited to a Committee meeting to report on their work.

 

Resolved: (Cr Briggs/Cr Brown)                                         Minute No. CCASC 21403

“That the Committee:

(1)     notes the work currently underway relating to biodiversity; and

(2)     notes that work on a Biodiversity Strategy is commencing this month.”

 

7.

Update on Council's solid waste and waste minimisation work (21/1401)

Report No. CCASC2021/4/220 by the Solid Waste Manager

 

The Solid Waste Manager elaborated on the report.

In response to questions from members, the Head of Climate Change and Sustainability agreed to investigate the possibility of operating a hazardous waste event from the Silverstream Landfill. The event could be free entry for those only dispatching hazardous waste.

 

Resolved: (Cr Briggs/Deputy Mayor Lewis)                      Minute No. CCASC 21404

“That the Committee receives and notes the update on various solid waste management and minimisation work streams.”

 

8.

Sustainability considerations in RiverLink (21/1396)

Report No. CCASC2021/4/218 by the Project Manager Riverlink

 

The Project Manager, Riverlink, elaborated on the report. He agreed to explore whether carbon offsets could be balanced within the project or by using Council’s other projects as offsets.

 

Resolved: (Cr Briggs/Cr Edwards)                                     Minute No. CCASC 21405

“That the Committee receives and notes the information contained in the report.”

 

9.

Kerbside rubbish and recycling implementation project (21/1400)

Report No. CCASC2021/4/219 by the Strategic Advisor

 

In response to questions from members, the Head of Climate Change and Sustainability advised an audit of waste and recycling was underway. He said by the end of the year hot spots for contamination would be identified at a suburb and household level. He explained cameras on trucks would help in identifying contamination sources. He added a bin inspector would be assisting with behaviour change and would identify contamination hotspots. He advised an additional audit on a random sample of bins would provide data on levels of deliberate contamination. He explained staff resources for the Waste Minimisation Strategy would be reviewed after 12 months to assess whether resources were adequate. He agreed in principle to provide a comparison of levels of contamination with other regions that did not have a Council collection service. He noted this depended on the willingness of other councils to share their data. He added the assisted services criteria for bins were being developed so the assessment criteria  for the service would be clear.

The Chair noted it would be important to ensure bins and infomation were delivered to the households of new housing developments from their first week of occupancy. He added this would ensure good waste and recycling behaviour was embedded from the beginning.

 

Resolved: (Cr Briggs/Cr Shaw)                                          Minute No. CCASC 21406

“That the Committee receives and notes the report.”

Mayor Barry left meeting at 3.35pm.

10.

Sustainability considerations in the Naenae Pool project (21/1420)

Report No. CCASC2021/4/221 by the Advisor Energy and Carbon

 

The Project Manager (Naenae) and the Advisor, Energy and Carbon elaborated on the report.

In response to a question from a member, the Project Manager (Naenae) agreed to ask the project design team to include the recycling of rainwater in the design options.

Members expressed support for the idea that all new developments should recycle as much demolition material as possible.

 

Resolved: (Cr Briggs/Cr Mitchell)                                      Minute No. CCASC 21407

“That the Committee receives and notes the report.”

 

11.

Update on Council's climate change work (21/1398)

Report No. CCASC2021/4/222 by the Head of Climate Change and Sustainability

 

The Head of Climate Change and Sustainability elaborated on the report.

In response to a question from a member, the Head of Climate Change and Sustainability agreed to report back to members if the Eastbourne Summer Pool opening was likely to be delayed due to its heating technology upgrade.

 

Resolved: (Cr Briggs/Cr Mitchell)                                      Minute No. CCASC 21408

“That the Committee notes the update on various climate change work streams.”

12.     Information Item

 

Committee work programme (21/1207)

Report No. CCASC2021/4/223 by the Democracy Advisor

 

A report on a planned work plan for deer culling would be added to the work programme for the 25 November 2021 meeting.

In response to a question from a member, the Head of Climate Change and Sustainability advised the Climate Change Commission’s draft advice on emissions reduction plans was expected to be available by October 2021. He agreed to report back to the 25 November 2021 meeting on the advice and its impact on Council.

 

Resolved: (Cr Briggs/Cr Mitchell)                             Minute No. CCASC 21409

“That the Committee agrees to the proposed work programme shown in Table 1 contained within the report.”

 

13.

Closing formalities - Karakia Whakamutunga

Whakataka te hau ki te uru

Whakataka te hau ki te tonga

Kia mākinakina ki uta

Kia mātaratara ki tai

E hī ake ana te atakura

He tio, he huka, he hau hū

Tīhei mauri ora.

Cease the winds from the west
Cease the winds from the south
Let the breeze blow over the land
Let the breeze blow over the ocean
Let the red-tipped dawn come with a sharpened air. 
A touch of frost, a promise of a glorious day.

 

 

    

14.     QUESTIONS   

There were no questions.

 

There being no further business the Chair declared the meeting closed at 3.46 pm.

 

 

J Briggs

CHAIR

 

 

CONFIRMED as a true and correct record
Dated this 5th day of October  
2021