0                                              30 August 2021

HUTT CITY COUNCIL

 

Poari Hapori o Pito-one | Petone Community Board

 

Minutes of a meeting held via Zoom on

 Monday 30 August 2021 commencing at 6.30pm

 

 

 PRESENT

(via audio-visual):           Mr M Fisher (Acting Chair)

                                          Mr M Henderson (from 6.53pm) Mr M Roberts

Mr A Voutratzis                            Ms K Yung                

Deputy Mayor T Lewis               

 

APOLOGIES:                  Ms P Hanna

 

IN ATTENDANCE

(via audio-visual):            Ms J Miller, Chief Executive

Ms A Blackshaw, Director Neighbourhoods and Communities

Mr M Sherwood, Head of Parks and Recreation (part meeting)

Ms K Glanville, Senior Democracy Advisor
Ms J Randall, Democracy Advisor

 

 

PUBLIC BUSINESS

 

 

1.       APOLOGIES 

Resolved: (Mr Fisher/Ms Yung)                                          Minute No. PCB 21401

“That the apology received from Ms P Hanna be accepted and leave of absence be granted.”

 

2.

He Mihi

Aio ki te Aorangi

Aroha ki te Aorangi

Koa ki te Aorangi

Pono ki te Aorangi

Peace to the universe

Love to the universe

Joy to the universe

Truth to the universe

 

Nā Rangimarie Rose Pere

  

3.       PUBLIC COMMENT

Comments are recorded under the item to which they relate.

 

Under Standing order 15.1 the Chair allowed public comment from Mr Wayne Mackenzie on an item not appearing on the agenda.

 

Speaking under public comment, Mr Wayne Mackenzie requested an update on Council’s plans to address illegal driving activity in Cornish Street. He expressed disappointment he had not heard back from officers on the matter. He noted the police were busy with other issues on Friday and Saturday nights and could not attend to the problem.

 

The Chair agreed to ask Council officers to provide a response.

 

4.

Mayor's Address

Mayor Barry was unable to attend the meeting due to another commitment.

 

5.       Presentations

a)

Presentation by Local Councillor from Greater Wellington Regional Council

Cr Josh van Lier, a representative of Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC), provided an update on the following:

Public transport :

·           Buses and trains were running on Saturday timetables during Level 4 lockdown and this would continue when the region moved into Level 3 lockdown. Travellers with monthly passes would be able to transfer their August passes to September and transfer September passes to October.

·           Some Lower Hutt bus timetables would be changing to better align drivers with routes. This would help avoid bus cancellations and split shifts for drivers.

·           Operators had commenced improving linkages between buses and trains.

·           The Metlink fleet had received 10 new electric buses and was expecting 88 more in the successive 18 months.

Climate Change work:

GRWC had agreed to fully fund a carbon neutral pathway through its Long Term Plan, mostly through more electric buses. Carbon would be sequestered through the native reforestation of 1,350 ha of GWRC’s Park land over the next 10 years.

Flood protection work:

The RiverLink project procurement phase had commenced. Work was expected to commence on the project by October 2022. Native and willow plantings were planned for the riverbank.

Flood hazard modelling was being updated and community engagement on the modelling would follow. Cr van Lier agreed to update members once dates for public engagement had been determined.

Cr van Lier agreed to report back on riverbank rubbish between McEwen Bridge and Waione Street.

Mr Henderson joined the meeting at 6.53pm.

b)

Presentation by the Jackson Street Programme

Ms Hellen Swales, a representative of the Jackson Street Programme (JSP), provided an update as follows:

·           COVID-19 had interrupted a number of initiatives planned for Jackson Street, including Wellington on a Plate.

·           A Jackson Street promotion involving the upcoming World of Wearable Art (WOW) event would encourage shoppers to support local.

·           A virtual mall for Jackson Street had been organised to support businesses so shoppers could ‘click and collect’ items during the COVID-19 lockdown.

·           Frequent windy days had deposited rubbish on Jackson Street and in its drains. Wet rubbish was a slipping hazard and drains were getting blocked.

·           JSP supported the refurbishment of the Petone Wharf.

 

Mr Roberts left the meeting at 7.01pm and re-joined at 7.04pm.

6.       CONFLICT OF INTEREST DECLARATIONS  

There were no conflict of interest declarations.

7.       Minutes

Resolved: (Mr Fisher/Mr Voutratzis)                                  Minute No. PCB 21402

“That the minutes of the meeting of the Petone Community Board held on Monday, 28 June 2021, be confirmed as a true and correct record.”

   

8.       Report referred for Board input before being considered by Subcommittee of Council

 

Traffic Resolution - Cuba Street, Petone - P15 & P120 Parking Restrictions (21/1267)

Report No. PCB2021/4/181 by the Traffic Engineer - Network Operations

 

Deputy Mayor Lewis considered that the officer’s recommendations should be strengthened by focussing the report on the drop-in centre and the play area.

The Director, Neighbourhoods and Communities agreed to forward Deputy Mayor Lewis’ feedback to officers.

 

Resolved: (Mr Fisher/Deputy Mayor Lewis)             Minute No. PCB 21403

“That the Board endorses the recommendations contained in the report.”

 

9.

Democracy Advisor's Report (21/1220)

Report No. PCB2021/4/102 by the Democracy Advisor

 

Resolved: (Mr Fisher/Ms Yung)                                          Minute No. PCB 21404

“That the Board receives and notes the report.”

 

10.

2021 Young Elected members Hui (21/1230)

Memorandum dated 3 August 2021 by the Democracy Advisor

 

Resolved: (Mr Fisher/Mr Henderson)                                 Minute No. PCB 21405

“That the Board:

(1)   notes the Young Elected Members Hui (the Hui) will be held in Northland from
27-30 October 2021;

(2)   notes the registration details for the Hui will not be finalised in time for this meeting to approve precise costs for the attendance of Board members;

(3)   notes the estimated cost of attending the Hui of approximately $1,300 per member;

(4)   notes the Training Policy for Community Boards adopted by Council at its meeting held on 26 March 2019, attached as Appendix 1 to the memorandum;

(5)   approves the attendance of Mr A Voutratzis at the 2021 Hui; and

(6)   notes that any member attending a training course, conference, seminar or similar event will be required to provide a written report and evaluation to the Board.”

11.     Information Items

a)

Petone Library Remedial Work and Moera Library Proposed Extension- Update (21/1266)

 

The Director, Neighbourhoods and Communities tabled a verbal update attached as page 6 to the minutes.

In response to questions from members, the Director, Neighbourhoods and Communities said the timeline for the work would depend on which decision was made. She agreed to include the Board on the design engagement.

 

b)

Other uses for refurbished Petone Wharf (21/1335)

Memorandum dated 20 August 2021 by the Head of Parks and Recreation

 

The Head of Parks and Recreation elaborated on the memorandum.

In response to questions from members, the Head of Parks and Recreation advised Petone Wharf (the wharf) was listed as a noted asset of heritage in Council’s District Plan. He highlighted it was not currently listed with Heritage New Zealand. He added there was an application to have the wharf listed but consideration of the application would take several months. He noted the original wharf frontage was part of the wharf’s heritage value and Council preferred to retain it.

 

Resolved: (Mr Fisher/Mr Roberts)                             Minute No. PCB 21406

“That the Board receives and notes the memorandum.”

     

12.     QUESTIONS   

There were no questions.

 

There being no further business the Chair declared the meeting closed at 7.36 pm.

 

 

 

M Fisher

CHAIR

 

 

 

CONFIRMED as a true and correct record

Dated this 1st day of November 2021

Meeting date:

30 August  2021

Director:

Andrea Blackshaw, Director Neighbourhoods & Communities
Kara Puketapu-Dentice, Director Economy and Development

Subject:

APPROACH TO LIBRARIES MAINTENANCE


In April 2021, Council developed a high-level work plan which proposed carrying out work required on 5 libraries over approximately a two-year period, in two parts. Part One starting in August 2021 included repairs to Petone and Moera Libraries, with refurbishment of both facilities taking place at a later date, and being informed by further community engagement. The next step was to develop a more detailed work plan to share with community and staff, and this was underway.

On 30 July, Chief Executive Jo Miller temporarily closed the Hardwick Smith Lounge in Belmont and the first floor of the Petone Library building due to the health and safety risk to staff and users from toxic mould. The Petone Library remains open, with additional health and safety measures in place.

An inspection of both facilities had found toxic mould and high moisture levels and a decision was made to close them immediately as a precautionary measure while further inspections are undertaken. That work is now underway and will be updated separately once information is available. Future decisions on Hardwick Smith Lounge will also be considered separately, as part of our overall assets work.

The recent turn of events with Petone has led us to reconsider both the priorities and approach, and we’re now proposing the following:

  1. Prioritise action on the full refurbishment of Petone Library, starting with community engagement via Community Board (in conjunction with work planned for  Petone 2040)
  2. Change approach on Moera Library – instead of carrying out just essential repairs now (and redevelopment later), revisit original plans for redevelopment with the Community Board and consider reinstating these. While we might miss an opportunity to improve on these plans, it would ensure Moera is available (and improved) to provide back-up when Petone/War Memorial Library (WML) are closed, which is now deemed more important.
  3. Bring forward work on Naenae Library, as this has a short lead in, and to ensure it can remain open during later works
  4. Push back work on WML slightly, to prioritise other work (and as this requires longer lead in)

This approach will give us the best chance of maintaining service levels across the city over the next two years, and tackling Petone first will mitigate the possible risk of further parts of Petone Library having to be being closed over time.

Staff at Petone Library and Heritage Centre have been informed about this approach. A report will also go to the Communities Committee in September.