Minutes of a meeting
held in the Council Chambers, 2nd Floor, 30 Laings Road,
Lower Hutt on
20 May 2021 commencing at 11.30am and reconvening
Friday 21 May 2021 at 9.30am
Deputy Mayor T Lewis (Deputy Chair)
Cr D Bassett (until 5.50pm, 21 May)
Cr J Briggs
Cr K Brown
Cr B Dyer
Cr S Edwards
Cr D Hislop
Cr C Milne
Cr A Mitchell
Cr S Rasheed
Cr N Shaw
Cr L Sutton
APOLOGIES: There were no apologies.
IN ATTENDANCE: Ms J Miller, Chief Executive
Ms A Blackshaw, Director Neighbourhoods and Communities
Mr M Boggs, Director Strategy and Engagement (part meeting)
Mr K Puketapu-Dentice, Director, Economy and Development (part meeting)
Ms J Livschitz, Chief Financial Officer
Mr B Hodgins, Strategic Advisor (part meeting)
Mr M Sherwood, Head of Parks and Recreation (part meeting)
Mr D Koenders, Manager – Financial Strategy and Planning (part meeting)
Ms B McLaughlin, Executive Assistant (part meeting)
Ms J Lawson, Assets Manager Reserves (part meeting)
Mr A Marsh, Asset Manager Parks (part meeting)
Ms K Stannard, Head of Democratic Services (part meeting)
Ms K Glanville, Senior Democracy Advisor (part meeting)
Ms J Randall, Democracy Advisor (part meeting)
Ms T Lealofi, Democracy Advisor (part meeting)
Ms H Clegg, Minute Taker (part meeting)
The following documentation can be found here :
· Hearing Timetable – Thursday 20 May 2021;
· Hearing Timetable – Friday 21 May 2021;
· Long Term Plan submissions in order of speakers – Thursday 20 May 2021;
· Long Term Plan submissions in order of speakers – Friday 21 May 2021;
· Presentations – Thursday 20 and Friday 21 May 2021;
· Tabled documents – Thursday 20 May 2021; and
· Tabled documents – Friday 21 May 2021.
1. OPENING FORMALITIES
Kia hora te marino
Kia whakapapa pounamu te moana
He huarahi mā tātou i te rangi nei
Aroha atu, aroha mai
Tātou i a tātou katoa
Hui e Tāiki e!
May peace be wide spread
May the sea be like greenstone
A pathway for us all this day
Let us show respect for each other
For one another
Bind us together!
There were no apologies.
3. CONFLICT OF INTEREST DECLARATIONS
Cr Brown declared a conflict of interest relating to Wellington Regional Healthy Housing.
Hearing of submissions on the Draft Long Term Plan 2021-2031
Ms Muriel Tunoho elaborated on the submission from the Living Wage Network. A copy of the submission was tabled. She said she would like to see Council become an accredited wage employer.
Cr Milne joined the meeting at 11.32am.
Cr Sutton joined the meeting at 11.40am.
Mr Matt Roberts elaborated on his submission.
Ms Kathryn Martin elaborated on her submission. She outlined the importance to obtain resources, knowledge, skills and community connections to grow food. She said Council should support Urban Agriculture projects.
Mr Colin Stone elaborated on the submission from Sports New Zealand. He expressed gratitude for the significant contribution from Council regarding active recreational sports sector and wellbeing.
Mr Colin Stone elaborated on the submission from Fraser Park Sportsville. He thanked Council for the support provided to the Fraser Park Sportsville.
Ms Lynne Philip and Mr Alan Thoburn elaborated on the submission from the Citizens Advice Bureau Lower Hutt. Ms Thoburn tabled an oral submission.
Ms Sally-Ann Moffat elaborated on her submission. She tabled an oral submission.
Ms Gillian Green elaborated on her submission. She expressed concern about the parking and road situation.
Mayor Barry asked that Ms Green’s submission be forwarded to Council’s District Plan Policy team.
Mr Craig Innes elaborated on the submission from the Wainuiomata Rural Association. He expressed concern about residents residing in rural areas being affected by the recent changes in the rating differential. He said Council did not directly communicate to clarify the situation with the most affected ratepayers.
Ms Jane Wootton elaborated on her submission. She expressed concern with the funding being spent on the RiverLink project.
Mr Chris Parkin elaborated on his submission. He showed a presentation.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Parkin said he would like to see Council show leadership by taking further steps to be carbon zero by 2030.
Mr Matthew Young elaborated on his submission. He expressed concern about Council’s lack of action since declaring a Climate Emergency.
The meeting adjourned at 1.15pm and resumed at 2.10pm.
Mr Kaine Thompson elaborated on his submission.
Mayor Barry noted work on the Cross-Valley Link project was not due to commence for some years. He advised carbon modelling work could begin once Government support had been secured and the project was underway.
In response to a question from a member, Cr Briggs, Chair of the Climate Change and Sustainability Committee advised that the cost effectiveness of carbon reduction initiatives could be evaluated over the next year or two. He noted this could potentially provide useful information when ranking different projects.
Ms Lisa Jones elaborated on the submission from the Wellington Hockey Association (the Association).
In response to questions from members, Ms Jones advised the Association was ready to upgrade the turf if funding was approved. She acknowledged that if the funding was note approved, the Association would upgrade facilities to the level their budget allowed. She advised a water based turf lasted for 20 years, prevented grazes and infections in players and was essential for hockey tournaments. She said the nearest water-based turf was in Berhampore. She considered the Association would struggle to service a loan debt.
Members requested advice on how requests from sports organisations were prioritised. They asked if there was a policy to guide Council decisions and to guide sports organisations when applying for funding.
Members asked officers to provide further information about the Fraser Park Hockey Turf.
Ms Libby English and Ms Jo Cloughan elaborated on the submission from the New Zealand Chinese Language Week Trust via Zoom. They showed a video.
Mayor Barry asked officers to connect with the New Zealand Chinese Language Week Trust to advise on the most appropriate community funding stream.
Members asked officers for the following:
· A breakdown of the costs associated with the projects that made up the micro-mobility business case.
· An update on the status of the Moera Library funding.
· Advice about the Citizens Advice Bureau Lower Hutt gaining access into the libraries.
· Information about the split between baseline funding and contestable funding.
· Additional information about the replacement of the turf at Fraser Park.
· Advice about how requests from sports organisations are prioritised by Council and whether there is a policy to guide Council’s decisions.
The meeting adjourned at 2.49pm and reconvened at 3.30pm.
Mr Rick Wells elaborated on the submission from The Dowse Foundation. He advised of The Dowse’s 50th birthday celebrations occurring in June 2021.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Wells explained the Foundation operated to support the Dowse and part of its functions was to help raise funds. He added the Foundation had engaged an independent party to obtain clarity around the focus of The Dowse and what the museum would deliver in the future.
The Group Chief Financial Officer advised that funding had been allocated in the budget for deck maintenance. She said the proposed changes to the entranceway were deemed as non-essential work and the funding had been removed from the budget.
Mr Phil Gibbons elaborated on the submission from Nuku Ora.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Gibbons confirmed the project would not proceed if it did not gain funding from all the region’s local authorities.
In response to questions from members, Mr Gibbons explained that the Regional Facilities Advisor role would enable a regional response to future sporting facility plans in the region. He agreed the role could investigate if a second turf was a regionally required asset at Fraser Park, using a regional lens rather than a local lens.
Ms Tania Goss elaborated on her submission. She expressed support for Option 1 for the Naenae Pool.
In response to questions from members, Ms Goss said a warm up/warm down pool area was required. She believed other infrastructure required attention ahead of the Petone Wharf refurbishment.
Ms Elanor Capel elaborated on the submission from Ms Tania Goss. She explained that Naenae Pool used to host multiple swimming trainings at one time. She said that with the closing of the pool a number of swimmers had left the sport as they could not access alternative training venues. She believed the loss of the Naenae Pool had a negative mental health impacts on many individuals.
Ms Tara McKnight elaborated on the submission from Ms Tania Goss. She explained that Swim Zone had suffered in membership numbers with the closing of the Naenae Pool. She said this was due to the lack of training times and the difficulty in getting to alternative venues. She believed the people of Naenae were suffering with the loss of visitor spending.
The meeting adjourned at 4.02pm and resumed at 4.08pm.
Ms Nic Medway elaborated on her submission.
In response to a question from a member, Ms Medway advised that a lack of a swimming facility in Naenae would result in an inability to grow swimming talent. She also advised of a loss of revenue to the area due to the lack of hosting competitions.
Ms Prabha Ravi and Ms Alison Eldredge elaborated on the submission from Arohanui Strings – Sistema Hutt Valley. They explained that several teachers were volunteers and that it was getting more difficult to attract professional teachers.
In response to questions from members, Ms Eldredge explained the organisation was investigating the development of a permanent base at Walter Nash Park. She said they were not in a financial position to progress the plans at this stage and were exploring funding options. Ms Ravi asked that Council develop a similar policy to Wellington City Council’s Arts and Culture Strategic Plan that focussed on diversity, inclusion and support for arts and culture.
Ms Amanda Waijers and Mr Greg Thomas elaborated on the submission from the E Tu Awakairangi Hutt Art Trust.
In response to questions from members, Ms Waijers confirmed Auckland City Council currently had a Percentage for Art Policy. She suggested a 1% to 2% percentage amount would be appropriate for Lower Hutt.
In response to a question from a member regarding community participation in the delivery of public art, Ms Waijers suggested an Advisory Panel with iwi, local and wider Wellington community representatives be established.
Ms Sylvia Allan elaborated on the submission from the Petone Historical Society.
Ms Prabha Ravi and Ms Pippa Sanderson elaborated on the submission from Lower Hutt Creative Communities.
In response to a question from a member, Ms Ravi believed it would be advantageous if Council purchased a portable lighting and sound system for hireage by community groups.
Mayor Barry asked that officers investigate Council purchasing portable lighting and sound equipment for community groups to hire.
Mr Martyn Bain elaborated on the submission from Swimzone.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Bain stated a pool of 10 lanes width was essential to enable swim meets to be held. He added a warm up/down pool would be useful.
Mr Nat Janke-Gilman elaborated on the submission from Changing Places. He tabled additional information at the meeting.
In response to questions from members, Mr Janke-Gilman confirmed it would be advantageous to include a 24/7, full access toilet in the design stage of the Naenae Pool. He confirmed such toilets were not for general public usage.
Mayor Barry asked officers to investigate a 24/7, full access toilet for the Naenae Pool project.
Ms Megan Toms and Ms Hellen Swales elaborated on the submission from the Jackson Street Programme. Ms Toms explained the Petone2040 document had been developed after extensive public consultation and input. She noted it was referenced once in Council’s draft Long Term Plan document. She requested more cognisance be made of the Petone 2040 document. She requested the recently installed generic cycle stands be removed, and replaced with heritage-sympathetic designed ones. She further requested investment be made in Petone’s parks and streetscapes to enhance the gateway to Lower Hutt.
The Group Chief Financial Officer confirmed a budget of $2.5M for the Jackson Street street improvements had been included in the budget over the next 10 years.
Ms Fay Drysdale and Ms Hellen Swales elaborated on the submission from the Jackson Street Programme (JSP). Ms Drysdale explained JSP would like the Petone Wharf to be protected and renovated. She said and that it could become a commercial asset and useful in reducing the carbon footprint. She added that despite Council declaring a Climate Emergency there was no mitigation plan in evidence for the coastline. She said the city needed to leverage on Jackson Street, as it was the only heritage precinct in New Zealand.
Mr Leo O’Sullivan elaborated on the submission from Pak n Save, Petone. He tabled a document. He expressed opposition to altering the rates differential. He believed the proposed change would place an unfair burden on commercial enterprises.
The Group Chief Financial Officer said a detailed report about the proposed rates differential would be considered by members on 24 May 2021.
Mr John Donnelly and Mr Hellen Swales elaborated on Mr Donnelly’s submission. Mr Donnelly expressed opposition to the proposed Development Contributions Policy. He believed it was inequitable as it placed the cost of infrastructure on the next generation. He agreed to a meeting with Mayor Barry to discuss the issue further.
Mr Donnelly objected to any proposals to remove carparking from Jackson Street, as parking in the area was already under pressure. Ms Swales offered to supply foot traffic and market data information regarding visitors to Jacksons Street.
Mr James Beban elaborated on his submission. He said the proposed increases to resource consent fees did not match market rates for Resource Consent Planners.
The Group Chief Financial Officer advised additional information would be considered by members at its meeting on 24 May 2021.
The Chief Executive advised that Council’s policy was to pay the average rate for employees. She noted there was currently a shortage of Resource Consent Planners nationwide.
Members asked officers for the following:
· To provide advice about the proposed fees and charges in the draft Long Term Plan for a graduate planner, including providing a high level overview of the process for setting fees and recovery of costs.
· To identify a key urban design liaison officer and advise E Tu Awakairangi Hutt Trust.
· To provide the Jackson Street Programme with a copy of the Jackson Street Streetscape design.
The meeting adjourned at 5.51pm on Thursday 20 May 2021.
FRIDAY 21 May 2021 the meeting resumed at 9.30am
Mr Graeme Hall elaborated on the submission from The Great Harbour Way Trust. He showed a presentation. He noted it was important for signage to link the various segments of the Great Harbour Way to connect them as an overall experience. He added that signage for rides linking to the Great Harbour Way could also be included.
Mr Peter Robertson elaborated on his submission.
In response to questions from members, Mr Robertson said he considered Council was deferring debt for years to come and would not be able to catch up. He suggested Council’s rates should at a minimum be set to cover the cost of the Three Waters work needed for Lower Hutt.
Mr Simon Gilbert and Mr Chris Jonker elaborated on the submission from the Trailforce.
In response to questions from members, Mr Gilbert and Mr Jonker said they were requesting initial Council assistance for earthworks, a toilet and shower block. They advised the design and planning for the project had been completed. They confirmed business partners were keen to operate at the site. They envisaged the facility would be operational by summer 2021.
Mayor Barry asked officers to discuss the matter further with Mr Gilbert and Mr Jonker.
Ms Esther King, Ms Lisa Black and Ms Leah Clark elaborated on the submission from LOVE Wainuiomata (the Group). They showed a presentation. Ms King said the group was looking at ways to bring together the potential of the streetscape work and new development in Wainuiomata to realise benefits for the community and Council. She requested the streetscape space include a public toilet. She considered phase one and phase two of the project needed to be completed together.
In response to questions from members, Ms King advised a kiosk and a toilet were both important to the streetscape and a bright, accessible toilet was essential. She said completing phases one and two of the project together would reduce disruption to business. She explained the population growth and changing demographics of the area meant the streetscape work was needed as soon as possible to support local business and build community.
Ms Pam Hanna, Chair and Mr Alex Voutratzis elaborated on the submission from the Petone Community Board. Mr Voutratzis added that good connections between the Esplanade and Jackson Street were essential. He considered that intensification should not be occurring in areas of the city that were prone to natural hazards.
Mr Nick Brown elaborated on his submission.
MP Chris Bishop elaborated on his submission.
In response to questions from members, Mr Bishop said creating more roads would deliver more options for other transport such as buses. He advised he would support a funding application from Council to central government for the Cross Valley Link.
Mr Matt Willis elaborated on the submission from Cricket Wellington.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Willis explained that while larger cricket grounds in Lower Hutt had good facilities, many smaller grounds had substandard facilities.
Ms Amanda Scothern, Ms Sheryl Davies and Mr Roger Blakeley elaborated on the submission from the Wellington Regional Healthy Housing Group (the Group). Mr Blakeley asked that the Group’s request for direct funding contributions be withdrawn. Instead the group requested Council provide the following:
· Adequate resources for enforcement so that healthy homes standards in Wainuiomata were met.
· Support when meeting with philanthropic agencies for funds for the Wainuiomata project.
· A flexible fund to address energy hardship with targeted solutions that worked for tenants.
· A voluntary targeted rates scheme of zero or low rates for home owners.
In response to questions from members, Mr Blakeley, Ms Davies and Ms Scothern said most poor quality housing had been handed down through generations of families. They explained the Group had a programme that covered the wider region but acknowledged it was targeting Wainuiomata due to deprivation and hospital statistics. They added the Group was currently working with home owner-occupiers, but was also investigating strategies to work with private rental property owners. They noted most families they worked with found maintenance overwhelming but work done by the Group’s retrofit team often incentivised action. They highlighted the importance of Council’s solidarity and financial support to reduce homelessness.
Mr Grant Birkinshaw elaborated on his submission. He tabled a document.
Mr Max Shierlaw elaborated on his submission.
In response to questions from members, Mr Shierlaw said he did not consider that significant infrastructure had previously been underfunded by Council. He noted Audit New Zealand had in previous years concluded Council’s budgets were balanced.
The meeting adjourned at 11.15am and resumed at 11.32am.
Ms Jo Clendon elaborated on the submission from the Hutt Cycle Network.
Mr Darren Conway elaborated on the submission from the Hutt Cycle Network.
Mr Gene Clendon elaborated on the submission from the Hutt Cycle Network.
Ms Jade Badcock elaborated on the submission from the Hutt Cycle Network.
Ms Merran Bakker elaborated on the submission from the Hutt Cycle Network. She showed a presentation. She expressed concern about the increased traffic congestion. She said Council needed to set aside funding and resources to address safe cycling linkages.
Mr David Tripp elaborated on the submission from Drs for Active Safe Transport. He showed a presentation. He said improvements to increase safety for cycle pathways were required.
Ms Karen Burgess elaborated on the submission from Enviroschools. She showed a presentation.
In response to a question from a member, Ms Burgess said the World of Waste Tour was designed specifically for Lower Hutt. She noted the focus would be to adapt to the changes in Council’s new rubbish and recycling service.
Ms Kathryn Irvine elaborated on her submission. She expressed concern about large apartments being developed in Lower Hutt. She said this had caused a lack of car parking, increased traffic congestion and led to a loss of native bushes and trees.
Ms Kay Wilmhurst elaborated on her submission. She tabled a document.
Mr Collin McElwain elaborated on the submission from Cuttriss Consultants.
Mr Gary James elaborated on his submission.
The meeting adjourned at 1.55pm and resumed at 2.11pm.
Mr Andrew Fuller elaborated on his submission.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Fuller advised the International Dark Sky Association had recommended light shields for street lights to ensure they lit the road, rather than the sky and wider environment. He noted Council had an opportunity to make the region a dark sky area since the city’s light emissions were less challenging to reduce than in other cities around the world.
Mr Steve Flaunty and Mr Craig Pickering elaborated on the submission from the Wainuiomata Trail Project. They showed a presentation.
In response to questions from members, Mr Flaunty and Mr Pickering said volunteers and contractors intended to create an easy grade multi-use track. They highlighted the tracks currently attracted around 4,000 bikers per month with many more walkers and runners. Mr Flaunty advised the track would provide an outer perimeter to the park that could be expanded to connect users back to hubs. He acknowledged that funding for stage two of the project would enable work to progress.
Mayor Barry asked officers to provide a response to the project team.
Mr Derek Wilshere elaborated on the submission from Common Sense Solutions.
In response to questions from members, Mr Wilshere confirmed the resource consent for the Eastern Bays shared pathway was under appeal. He noted mediation was underway. He believed community boards were an important connection to communities. He added a greater determining role for community boards would increase communtiy engagement.
Mr Dick Werry elaborated on his submission.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Werry acknowledged that targeted rates would mean some rates would increase significantly while others would reduce.
Mr Neil Bryce elaborated on his submission.
Mayor Barry asked officers to contact Mr Bryce to discuss the matters raised in his submission.
Mr Gary Quirke elaborated on his submission. He expressed concern that:
· The requirements of the National Policy Statement on Urban Development (NPS) were causing traffic and parking issues across the country. He expressed concern about the growth of housing in Lower Hutt because of parking and congestion on arterial routes. He noted there was nothing in Council’s Long Term Plan to address these issues.
· Ratepayers were paying for the deficit in costs for rubbish collections while in the previous Long Term Plan revenue from solid waste contributed to reducing the rates.
· Traffic plans, including the Cross Valley Link road, were needed to alleviate the problem of East-West traffic congestion from people out of town and driving in for work.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Quirke said the District Plan review would need to comply with the National Policy Statement so would not easily be able to resolve the issue of traffic congestion and parking.
Mr Geoffrey Coleman elaborated on his submission. He tabled a document about a community dance project. He requested more community based activities to engage residents.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Coleman agreed local dances could be managed by the community. He emphasised the importance of Council support and promotion for their success.
Ms Helen Down elaborated on the submission from the Hutt Valley Chamber of Commerce. She made the following additional points:
· Council’s Long Term Plan for 2024 should include a specific section on Council’s plans to support business. She said this would provide more relevance to business people and they would be more likely to provide input.
· Spatial planning and zoning for sizable commercial and industrial space was missing from the Long Term Plan. She advised lack of available space was making it difficult for new businesses to relocate to Lower Hutt.
In response to questions from members, Ms Down explained Transmission Gully would open the possibility of more sites for industry to relocate. She noted the proposed rating differentials would be an unwelcome cost after a difficult year when businesses had been under financial pressure.
Mayor Barry thanked Ms Down for her work and time as Chief Executive of the Hutt Valley Chamber of Commerce.
Ms Virginia Horrocks, Chair elaborated on the submission from the Eastbourne Community Board. She tabled the Board’s submission. She added that a Community Board survey on Council’s climate change response found that more information and guidance was wanted from Council and central Government. She advised half the respondents believed Council was not taking sufficient climate change action. She highlighted that suggestions from residents included installing water meters and removing plastic that could not be recycled. Ms Horrocks agreed to forward the survey results to members.
Ms Linda Olsen elaborated on the submission from the Wainuiomata Marae.
Mr Chris Norton elaborated on the submission from the Team Naenae Trust.
In response to questions from members, Mr Norton advised the Trust’s first priority was to develop community facilities for Naenae. He noted other facilities could be added to the area as funding was available.
Members asked officers for the following:
· To investigate funding for the Wainuiomata Trail Project.
· Additional information about the Cross Valley Link project.
The meeting adjourned at 3.45pm and resumed at 4.09pm.
Ms Sarah O’Neill, with students Ali Thompson, Angel McMillan, Niko Fujii and Kyla Paisley elaborated on the submission from Wainuiomata High School.
In response to questions from members, Ms Thompson explained the proposed design had been developed after listening to feedback. She further explained that skateboarder numbers in Wainuiomata had reduced over time due to the state of the current park. She confirmed the proposed skate park could accommodate scooters, skate boards and bikes.
Mr Chris Norton and Ms K Yung elaborated on the submission from the Te Awakairangi Hutt Carbon Zero Network. Mr Norton asked when action from Council would occur in relation to carbon emissions and climate change.
In response to a question from a member, Ms Yung explained the Network consisted of a number of leaders in the Climate Change field.
In response to questions from members, Mr Matthews confirmed $1M in funding had already been secured.
Mr Michael Gray elaborated on the submission from Buzz Café. He stressed that parking was a major issue in High Street.
In response to questions from members, Mr Gray acknowledged the monies spent by Council in the CBD and requested the works continue and extend further along High Street. He further acknowledged the end result of the Riverlink project would be positive. He requested immediate investment in High Street to assist with the imminent disruption that the construction phase of the project would create.
Mr James Scott and Mr Michael Gray elaborated on the submission from the Southend High Street Business Group (the Group). They elaborated on the projects the Group was currently involved with. Mr Scott added that the Group was keen to work with Council in developing projects. He expressed the Group’s opposition to the proposed changes to the commercial rates differential.
In response to questions from members, Mr Gray believed land at the end of Margaret Street could be developed for temporary parking, once construction of the Riverlink Project commenced. Mr Scott added that land to the immediate north of Ewen Bridge may also be able to be converted into a temporary carpark.
Ms Gaylene Hughes elaborated on the submission from the Innovating Young Minds Charitable Trust.
Mr David Meiklejohn elaborated on the submission from the Wainuiomata Sportsville.
In response to questions from members, Mr Meiklejohn confirmed the rugby and football clubs were not part of the Sportsville group, however the junior sections would be able to train on the proposed facility.
In response to further questions from members, Mr Meiklejohn explained the proposed structure had a 22 year lifespan, with the potential for this to be extended.
Mayor Barry asked officers to provide feedback on the proposal.
The meeting adjourned at 5.11pm. Mayor Barry left the meeting.
The meeting resumed at 5.16pm. Deputy Mayor Lewis assumed the chair for the remainder of the meeting.
Mr Teri Puketapu tabled a submission and elaborated on it. His submission proposed a Naenae-Wainuiomata Road Link. He believed there was a need for an additional access road into Wainuiomata to cater for the expected growth of the city. He considered Council could access the recent development monies announced by central government to assist in funding the road. He did not want to see an additional rate for Wainuiomata properties to fund the project.
In response to questions from members, Mr Puketapu did not support a secondary route linking to Whites Line East as he believed that would cause more traffic congestion on the Lower Hutt side.
The meeting adjourned at 5.50pm. Cr Bassett left the meeting.
The meeting resumed at 6.30pm.
Mr Gabriel Tupou, Chair elaborated on the submission from the Wainuiomata Community Board. He tabled the Board’s submission. He noted the Board and community supported Option 1 for investment in the Three Waters infrastructure.
Ms Elizabeth Collins elaborated on her submission.
In response to questions from members, Ms Collins advised the Moana Pool in Dunedin was an example of a good pool facility design which allowed events to be held, whilst ensuring public access remained to areas of the facility.
Ms Alice Davies elaborated on her submission. She asked that a deep, 10 lane pool be constructed at Naenae to enable water polo, underwater hockey and all swimming training and events.
Mr Alex Voutratzis elaborated on his submission.
Mr Casey Diver and Mr Stewart Kent elaborated on the submissions from Delaney Parks Sports Association, Stokes Valley Football Club and Stokes Valley Cricket Club. They reiterated their request that an ongoing relationship with officers in regard to renovating Council assets on the park be established. Mr Diver tabled a document.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Diver confirmed the Clubs had met with officers in August 2020, with no action occurring on the agreed items.
The Chief Executive agreed that officers would respond to the Association and Clubs submissions.
In response to a further question from a member, Mr Diver advised that not all sports clubs that utilised Delaney Park were included in the submission. He said other clubs had their own plans for their park usage. He added collaboration between clubs was being pursued.
Mr Scott Williams elaborated on his submission. He expressed concern at the number of multi-unit developments occurring in the city.
In response to questions from members, Mr Williams confirmed an option for housing the increasing population could be to build up instead of out. He did not support additional residents being housed in the Hutt Central area as it was already at capacity.
Mr Jamie Stewart elaborated on his submission. He explained that it appeared there was little planning and limited vision when establishing nature and green spaces.
In response to questions from members, Mr Stewart agreed to supply officers with his Taita Reserves walkways proposal. He asked for support from Council and assistance with some preparation work.
Members asked for the following:
· A summary of existing and future potential use of the Taita, Wainuiomata and Western Hills Pathways and Trails, including informal pathways.
· Officers to coordinate discussions with parties interested in the Wainuiomata Bike Trail area.
· An update on the drainage situation at Maungaraki School.
5. CLOSING FORMALITIES – KARAKIA WHAKAMUTUNGA
Whakataka te hau ki te uru
Whakataka te hau ki te tonga
Kia mākinakina ki uta
Kia mātaratara ki tai
E hī ake ana te atakura
He tio, he huka, he hau hū
Tīhei mauri ora.
winds from the west
CONFIRMED as a true and correct record
Dated this 10th day of August 2021