HUTT CITY COUNCIL
LONG TERM PLAN/ANNUAL PLAN SUBCOMMITTEE
Meeting to be held in the Council Chambers, 2nd Floor, 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt on
Tuesday 27 October 2020 commencing at 2.00pm.
SUPPLEMENTARY ORDER PAPER
5. RECOMMENDATIONS TO COUNCIL - 27 October 2020
i) Long Term Plan Amendment - Recycling and Rubbish Collection (20/1136)
Report No. LTPAP2020/6/217 by the Strategic Advisor 2
“That the recommendations contained in the report be endorsed.”
SENIOR DEMOCRACY ADVISOR
30 September 2020
Report no: LTPAP2020/6/217
Long Term Plan Amendment - Recycling and Rubbish Collection
Purpose of Report
1. The purpose of this report is to seek Council adoption of the audited Amendment to the Long Term Plan 2018-2028 to address the decisions made by Council on 15 September 2020 regarding future recycling and rubbish collection services in the city.
That the Subcommittee recommends that Council:
(i) notes that the 2018-2028 Long Term Plan has been amended to incorporate the decisions made by Council on 15 September 2020 regarding future recycling and rubbish collection services in the city;
(ii) notes that the Amendment to the 2018-2028 Long Term Plan has been progressed through an external audit review process;
(iii) adopts the Amendment to the Long Term Plan 2018-2028 , attached as Appendix 1 to this report; and
(iv) receives the audit opinion from Audit New Zealand following the adoption of the Amended Long Term Plan 2018-2028.
2. On 18 March 2020 Council approved for public consultation a proposed Amendment to the Long Term Plan 2018-2028 (LTP) that included changes to the city’s recycling and rubbish collection services along with other significant issues. The proposed Amendment was withdrawn by Council as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic disruption.
3. On 26 May 2020 Council delegated authority to an LTP Amendment Working Group to approve the Draft Consultation Document, questionnaires, the draft Long Term Plan Amendment Document and associated material to support consultation on options for recycling and rubbish in Lower Hutt.
4. On 13 July 2020 the LTP Amendment Working Group approved for public consultation the Rubbish and Recycling Consultation Document and the proposed Amendment to the LTP 2018-2028.
5. Consultation on recycling and rubbish collection occurred from 16 July to 16 August 2020, and the results of the consultation were reported to Council on 15 September 2020.
6. On 15 September Council agreed, as part of Minute No. C20501, to adopt the proposal for fortnightly kerbside recycling, a weekly rates-funded kerbside rubbish collection service, and the introduction of an opt-in four-weekly green waste service, for residential properties.
7. Council also noted that officers would finalise the Long Term Plan Amendment and complete the final stages of the external audit following Council’s decisions. Council also agreed that the audited Long Term Plan Amendment would be reported back to Council for adoption on 27 October 2020.
8. Audit New Zealand has completed an audit of the Amended Long Term Plan 2018-2028. The Amended plan is attached as Appendix 1 to this report and comprises:
- Part A – Introduction to LTP Amendment – Recycling and Rubbish,
- Part B – Amendment to 2018-2028 Long Term Plan,
- Part C – Original 2018-2028 Long Term Plan.
9. Officers of Audit New Zealand will be in attendance at the meeting to discuss the external audit process and present the audit opinion.
Climate Change Impact and Considerations
10. The matters addressed in this report have been considered in accordance with the process set out in Council’s Climate Change Considerations Guide, as part of Council’s decision-making on 15 September 2020.
11. No further consultation is required on this matter.
12. The Local Government Act 2002 outlines the provisions relating to amending a long term plan, and includes the following:
a. Section 93(4) which provides that a local authority may amend a long term plan at any time;
b. Section 93(5) which requires local authorities to use the special consultative procedure in making any amendment to a long term plan;
d. he content of the consultation document for the amendment of a long term plan;
e. Section 93G which outlines the information to be adopted by a local authority in relation to the amendment of a long term plan and preparation of a consultation document;
f. Section 94(1) which addresses the audit of a long term plan; and
g. Section 94(2) which provides that, in the case of an amended long term plan, the report under section 94(1) must contain a report by the Auditor-General confirming or amending the report made when the long term plan was adopted.
11. The Amendment to the LTP 2018-2028 complies with these provisions.
13. Financial considerations are outlined in the Amendment to the LTP 2018-2028. As part of the LTP 2021-2031 process, there will be a further review of the financial considerations relating to rubbish and recycling.
Appendix 1 - Amended 2018-2028 Long Term Plan for adoption, incorporating changes to recycling and rubbish collection services
Author: Bruce Hodgins
Author: Joyanne Stevens
Reviewed By: Jenny Livschitz
Chief Financial Officer
Approved By: Helen Oram
Director Environment and Sustainability