2                                                   9 April 2019



Eastbourne Community Board


Minutes of a meeting held in the East Harbour Women's Clubrooms, 145 Muritai Road, Eastbourne on

 Tuesday 9 April 2019 commencing at 7.15pm





Mr R Ashe

Mr M Gibbons


Ms L Knight

Cr T Lewis


Cr M Lulich

Ms A Sutherland (Chair)






APOLOGIES:                  Ms V Horrocks


IN ATTENDANCE:        Mr B Hodgins, Strategic Advisor
Mr Z Moodie, Traffic Engineer  

Mr J Gloag, Divisional Manager, Transport

Mr C Lunn, Contracts Manager - Green Assets           

Ms J Randall, Committee Advisor





1.       APOLOGIES 

Resolved: (Ms Sutherland/Ms Knight)                               Minute No. ECB 19210

“That the apology received from Ms Horrocks be accepted and leave of absence be granted.”


Comments are recorded under the item to which they relate.


Speaking under public comment, Mr P Sprey reminded members of the importance of  planning for upgrading roads, footpaths and lights in Eastbourne. He said roads beyond the main road were more neglected and a documented plan was needed to ensure they were maintained to a good quality. He considered a plan to progress towards underground power lines was needed.  He asked for more detail on the proposed $500,000 spend on William’s Park.


In response to a question from a member regarding the issues raised by Mr Sprey, the Divisional Manager, Transport, advised Council maintained an ongoing plan for maintenance of the roads that determined priority. He  advised Wellington Electricity was responsible for the power lines.  He agreed to follow up Mr Sprey’s concerns.


The Chair reminded Mr Sprey that residents could use Council’s Report a Problem (RAP) facility to report maintenance issues. She noted Council had been very responsive in dealing with maintenance issues reported to them.


The Strategic Advisor explained the $500,000 provision for Williams Park had not yet been allocated for specific projects. He said the Parks Division would be engaging with residents before the fund was apportioned. He added it was possible the house on the park might be demolished or moved so that area of the park could be better used.


Speaking under public comment, Mayor WR Wallace restated his commitment to the Eastern Bays Shared Path. He advised the assessment of environmental effects had been completed and the consent application had been lodged. He reinforced that Council would continue to work with property owners on local Significant Natural Areas (SNAs). He noted the Environment Court had advised all parties should be involved in the SNA process. He said Council understood the distress caused by the process but also recognised the environment needed protection. He congratulated Board members on the Rona Bay Wharf refurbishment and  recognised the wharf could be a crucial lifeline for the city after an earthquake.


In response to a question from a member, Mayor Wallace agreed to keep the Board updated on the progress of the Eastern Bays Shared Path consent. He noted the consent application would be fully notified so that all residents would have the opportunity to have their say.


The Chair acknowledged the Board would liaise with residents on the Eastern Bays Shared Path consent process and encourage residents putting in submissions.


Speaking under public comment, Ms F Maxwell a Maire Street resident, expressed concern at new signs erected at the Maire Street car park to discourage freedom camping. She noted they were intrusive, unnecessary and blocked her sea view.  She asked that Council consider removing the unnecessary signs and retaining just one on the lamp post near the junction with Karamu Road. 


Ms Maxwell advised a sign prohibiting motorbikes also interfered with her sea views. She noted that legislation did not require signs to be erected at the height of this sign when located off the main road. She added the legislation only required that signs were safe, appropriate, visible and not obstructing pedestrians.


The Divisional Manager, Transport agreed to discuss the matter of the motorbike sign with the Contracts Officer. The Strategic Advisor agreed to discuss the matter of the freedom camping signs with the Reserves Assets Manager. The Chair agreed to update Ms Maxwell on the results of Council officer discussions on these matters.






3.       Presentations     


Presentation by Local Councillor from Greater Wellington Regional Council (19/225)

Ms R Hewitt, Mr P Blane and Mr R Malcolm, representatives of Greater Wellington Regional Council, along with representatives from Hutt City Council’s Transport Division, advised the following.

The Divisional Manager, Transport, advised that Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) was considering double-decker buses  for the Eastbourne 81 and 85x commuter bus routes. He explained this would involve additional road markings, the removal of branches from a number of road-side trees and the removal of three road-side trees. He said the community would be consulted on the plan before it was put in place.

Ms R Hewitt, a representative of GWRC advised she managed bus and cycle networks and infrastructure for GWRC. She explained GWRC wanted to reduce congestion and provide a more efficient service that was better for the environment. She referred to complaints from Eastbourne commuters regarding standing-room only on buses and waiting times. She considered demand for Eastbourne buses was rising and said catering for growth was a challenge. She recognised that adding more buses added to congestion and said the current shortage of bus drivers had made this option additionally problematic. She added additional drivers were only needed at peak times. She said double-decker buses would be more accessible, hold more people, reduce congestion, require just one driver and minimise redundant buses outside of peak travel times.

In response to questions from members, Ms Hewitt said the double-decker buses would be no wider than current buses. She was confident there would be no reduction to services since the double-decker buses would increase capacity. She proposed GWRC could forward members ‘frequently asked questions’ to answer queries about the buses from residents. 

The Contracts Manager – Green Assets,  advised that three poorly formed trees on Muritai Road would need removal to allow for the double decker buses. He added that these trees would have all been removed at a future date without the introduction of double decker buses since they were poor specimens. He said the trees identified for removal were outside numbers 86, 100 and 331 Muritai Rd. He noted GWRC would deliver letters to affected residents and allow two weeks for comment on the matter.  He concluded a number of other trees would need to be pruned to allow for the double decker bus carriage way.

The Traffic Engineer advised road marking changes would be used to define the carriage way and to direct double decker buses around existing trees.  He said this was mainly on the road south of Muritai School. He noted some bus stops might need to be moved. He said a broken edge line would be added to the existing gobi blocks to reinforce the road edge. He believed the changes would improve road safety and slow traffic speed.

In response to questions from members, the Traffic Engineer said he did not believe the road markings would encourage higher speeds. He advised that vehicles were more likely to increase their speed on residential roads without markings. He added the changes would not result in the erection of additional road signs.

In response to a question from a member, Cr Lamason, a Councillor from GWRC, said safety risks and benefits of the double-decker buses would be assessed and clearly communicated to reassure local residents.

In response to a question from a member, Cr Lamason agreed that a demonstration double-decker bus in Eastbourne before the plan was in place could be beneficial. 

Mr Ashe noted that the Petone Esplanade bus lane was not very effective at 7am on week days. He suggested the ability to turn right at Te Puni Street be removed. Ms Knight asked if buses could be better sequenced to work with the East by West Ferry timetable.

Ms Hewitt agreed to look into these matters.

Mr Gibbons suggested replacement trees were planted elsewhere in Eastbourne, such as near the Bus Barns, to compensate for the removal of trees on Muritai Road.


Resolved: (Mr Ashe/Ms Knight)                         Minute No. ECB 19211

“That the Board notes the presentation and is supportive of the consultation.”


Days Bay Wharf Refurbishment Update (19/372)

The Strategic Advisor confirmed that the Days Bay Wharf refurbishment contract had been awarded. He noted the start of works had been delayed until the end of April. He advised temporary buildings would be set up near the wharf to house materials and a site office.   He further advised the bus stop at the wharf entrance would be relocated 100m north of the wharf for the period of the works. He noted this would reduce car parking along the beach-front by 9-10 carparks and a disabled car park would be relocated. He explained plans would be made for the summer period to ensure the wharf was safe and available for fishers, ferry passengers and jumping. He added the landing point for the ferry would be moved as refurbishment work progressed. He envisaged there would be small periods of time when activity on the wharf would be limited. 

In response to a question from a member, the Strategic Advisor said ideas from residents could still be considered for incorporation in the design of the edges of the wharf.  He explained that the wharf’s heritage status added extra responsibilities and that an archaeological plan would be needed. He added there were no funds available to upgrade the wharf shelter to a heritage shelter but that it could be considered. He confirmed he could provide updates to the Board as work progressed. He said there was a contingency allowance for a 25% cost increase in the budget. He advised the timber for the wharf piles was sourced from South American rain forests.  He explained the end of the Point Howard Wharf would be demolished as far back as the small weatherboard building partway along the inner stem of the wharf. He noted plans for the Petone Wharf refurbishment had been deferred to 2032.  



There were no conflict of interest declarations.

5.       Minutes

Resolved: (Ms Sutherland/Mr Gibbons)                             Minute No. ECB 19212

“That the minutes of the meeting of the Eastbourne Community Board held on Tuesday, 19 February 2019, be confirmed as a true and correct record.”



Chair's Report (19/361)

Report No. ECB2019/2/34 by the Chair


The Chair elaborated on the report. She noted there had been a number of comments on the Eastern Bays Shared Path in Council’s ‘All Going to Plan’ consultation. She noted there was some local interest in organising a community forum to discuss Climate Change impacts for Eastbourne.


Resolved: (Cr Lewis/Cr Lulich)                                          Minute No. ECB 19213

“That the Board notes the report.”


Committee Advisor's Report (19/349)

Report No. ECB2019/2/3 by the Committee Advisor


Mr Gibbons was congratulated for attending the Community Board conference in New Plymouth.


Resolved: (Ms Sutherland/Ms Knight)                                Minute No. ECB 19214

“That the Board receives the report.”


8.       Reports from representatives on local organisations


Okiwi Trust (19/366)

The Chair advised there was nothing to report.


Educating Residents Around Trapping (ERAT) Steering Group (19/367)


The Chair advised there was nothing to report.


Days Bay Wharf Steering Group (19/368)

Mr Ashe advised there was nothing to report.


Eastbourne Youth Workers' Trust (19/369)

Ms Knight advised that no volunteers had come forward to join the Trust and manage the youth group (the group). She noted the group would re-open in the new term but would advise parents the group would close if no new Trust members were found. 


Keep Hutt City Beautiful (19/370)

Report No. ECB2019/2/44 by the Chair


Members noted the Chair’s written report.


Community Response Group (19/401)

Report No. ECB2019/2/45 by the Acting Chair


The Chair elaborated on her report. She confirmed she had met with the Divisional Manager, Regulatory Services and Emergency Management. She acknowledged the Lifeline Plan developed for the region was impressive but noted that time-frames for full recovery were daunting. She said residents needed to be prepared for emergencies. She advised Memorandums of Understanding had been signed to enable emergency supplies for the region.

In response to a question from a member, Ms Knight explained the local radio station under development used a private frequency that was only broadcast locally. She advised the radio station was hoping to run along the East Harbour hills to provide good communication with residents in all the bays.

In response to a question from a member, Cr Lulich agreed to follow up who would be invoiced for the resource consent for the Lowry Bay emergency shed.


9.       QUESTIONS   

There were no questions.



There being no further business the Chair declared the meeting closed at 8.52 pm.




Ms A Sutherland





CONFIRMED as a true and correct record

Dated this 25th day of June 2019