1                                                 24 April 2019

HUTT CITY COUNCIL

 

District Plan Subcommittee

 

Minutes of a meeting held in the Council Chambers, 2nd Floor, 30 Laings Road,
Lower Hutt on

 Wednesday 24 April 2019 commencing at 5.30pm

 

 

 PRESENT:                       Deputy Mayor Bassett (Chair) (until 6.20pm)

                                          Cr MJ Cousins                              Cr S Edwards
Cr T Lewis                                    Cr C Milne     

 

APOLOGIES:                  There were no apologies.

 

IN ATTENDANCE:       Ms H Oram, Acting General Manager City Transformation 

Mr A Cumming, Divisional Manager District Plan

Mr N Geard, Environmental Policy Analyst

Ms H Clegg, Minute Taker

 

PUBLIC BUSINESS

 

 

1.       APOLOGIES 

There were no apologies.

2.       PUBLIC COMMENT

There was no public comment.      

3.       CONFLICT OF INTEREST DECLARATIONS     

          The Chair declared a conflict of interest in item 5, District Plan Update relating to Plan Change 43 and took no part in discussion or voting on the item.

4.       Recommendations to City Development Committee

District Plan Review (19/310)

Report No. DPS2019/2/64 by the Divisional Manager District Plan

The Divisional Manager District Plan elaborated on the report.  He explained the budgetary requirements to enable the initial scoping and costing investigative work to implement a full review of the Lower Hutt District Plan (District Plan).  He advised the first of the recently gazetted National Policy Standards (NPS) required all District Plans to follow a prescribed format and structure.  He noted there was a

 

five year time period for implementation of the detailed changes required. He added that the full review would rectify other anomalies in the current District Plan for example compliance with the Regional Policy Statements.

The Divisional Manager District Plan suggested a full review could incorporate Council and community aspirations for the City including urban growth, infrastructure, leisure and wellbeing and environmental sustainability with the spatial elements being expressed in a Spatial Plan. 

The Chair expressed support for a full review of the District Plan.

In response to a question from a member, the Divisional Manager District Plan advised that with regard to Proposed Plan Change 43 a hearing was likely to be held in early August 2019 with a final decision being made by the new Council.  He added that if the timeframe was not met, special Ministerial consent for a time extension for the process would be required.  He said that such a request had not been undertaken in the past and he was therefore uncertain as to the likelihood of an extension being granted.

In response to a further question from a member, the Divisional Manager District Plan advised that the current Plan Changes being processed had been formulated in line with the proposed District Plan format changes of the new NPS.  He noted that the work required to progress these would need to occur concurrently with the background works required for the full review. 

In response to questions from a member, the Divisional Manager District Plan advised that he could not yet provide an estimate as to the approximate cost of the full review at this time.  He further advised the proposed carryover of funds would enable all the investigative works to be completed.  He acknowledged the cost of a full review would reach millions of dollars and that the investigative work would include assessing how resources were to be deployed. 

Members discussed how Council’s budget should reflect this requirement given no allowance had currently been made in its Long Term Plan.  Members also noted that Council was now forewarned that there would be a request for funding in the near future after the investigative work was carried out.

In response to a question from a member, the Divisional Manager District Plan  acknowledged that other local authorities would be facing similar issues, which may be compounded by a nationwide shortage of planning personnel.

In response to a question from a member, the Divisional Manager District Plan advised that officers were constantly in discussions with neighbouring local authorities.  He agreed it would be advantageous for Hutt City and Upper Hutt City Councils to work closely on the issue. 

In response to questions from a member, the Divisional Manager District Plan advised that there was a small risk the currently progressing Plan Changes may be out of date once they become operative.  He expressed confidence the formatting of

them would not be an issue.  He added that additional resourcing would be required if a Private Plan Change was lodged while work was underway with the full review.  He confirmed a preliminary scoping report could be prepared to coincide with the community consultation on the Annual Plan.

Cr Cousins suggested that with the changing legislative framework, it would be advantageous to hold a workshop for Councillors to explain all the implications of the National Planning Standards requirements.  

The Chair acknowledged the work undertaken to date by Council’s District Plan team.

 

ReCOMMENDED(Deputy Mayor Bassett/Cr Edwards)            Minute No. DP 19201

“That the Subcommittee recommends to the City Development Committee that Council:

(i)      agrees in principle to commence a comprehensive review of the City of Lower Hutt District Plan;

(ii)     asks officers to prepare a report outlining the rough terms of scope and in particular the financial resources known and required at this time for a District Plan review, to enable Council to incorporate it in its long term financial planning;

(iii)    asks officers to organise a two hour workshop to enable Councillors to become familiar and have a better understanding of the process of a District Plan review and the resources required, due to changes in legislation and the requirements on Council;

(iv)    asks the Mayor to enter into discussions with the Mayor of Upper Hutt City Council to investigate whether the District Plan review could be carried out as a joint project;

(v)     continues District Plan Changes that are underway until they are completed;

(vi)    carries over unspent funds from the District Plan budget 2018-19 into the District Plan budget 2019-20; and

(vii)   instructs officers to prepare a comprehensive report for the incoming Council on all issues and implications for the review.”

  

5.

District Plan Update (19/38)

Report No. DPS2019/2/49 by the Divisional Manager District Plan

 

The Chair declared a conflict of interest and left the meeting at 6.20pm.

Cr Cousins assumed the Chair for the duration of the meeting.

In response to questions from members, the Divisional Manager District Plan confirmed that Plan Change 52 related to six buildings and that the Hearings Panel decision would be reported to the next Council meeting.  He confirmed the numbers outlined in the report related to statistics for Hutt City Council.  He added that Upper Hutt City Council had more issues as the current alignment of the faultline, as depicted in the District Plan and running through Upper Hutt City, did not match the actual alignment as determined by recent GNS Science studies.

 

In response to a question from a member, the Divisional Manager District Plan advised that the relevant streets surrounding the CBD were omitted from Proposed Plan Change 43 (PC43).

In response to a question from a member, the Divisional Manager District Plan advised that the process of completing Proposed Plan Change 36 may be long and expensive, with a number of new parties now enabled by the Environment Court to join the proceedings.  He confirmed the process of a full District Plan review may enable the issue to be readdressed in the future possibly leading to relitigation.

In response to a question from a member, the Divisional Manager District Plan confirmed that with regard to Seaview Marina, discussions with oil companies were on-going.  He added there was agreement that sensitive activities should not be permitted within a certain proximity of the “Tank Farms”.  He added that the oil companies recommended the type of provisions applied by Auckland City Council had with regard to the potential hazards of oil storage facilities at Wiri.

In response to a question from a member, the Divisional Manager District Plan advised that, with regard to the recent New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) decision to defer funding for a Melling Interchange upgrade, there would be added costs to the process. He said this was due the RiverLink project about to formally commence and required a number of resource consents and designations.  He added the Melling Interchange upgrade would also require resource consents and designations and that initially the RiverLink project intended to address these all together.  He noted that when NZTA presented its Notice of Requirement for a designation, the costs would be borne by NZTA. 

 

Members discussed the implications of the NZTA decision leaving the City at greater risk of flooding and hidden costs in relation to the RiverLink project.

In response to a question from a member, the Divisional Manager District Plan confirmed that the National Policy Statement on Urban Development Capacity could be directly related to the Urban Growth Strategy and associated works which were showing a need for additional housing in a range of places including greenfield developments.  He added all Councils would jointly release information in a co-ordinated way to the Mayoral Forum, with workshops for Councillors to be organised.

In response to a question from a member, the Divisional Manager District Plan confirmed PC43 could be revisited under the proposed full District Plan review.

In response to a question from a member, the Divisional Manager District Plan advised once the proposed design of SH58 was amended by NZTA, a four lane road could not be constructed unless the designation was changed to provide for that.

Cr Cousins commented that the NZTA decision to downgrade SH58 would have implications on the long term economic health of the Hutt Valley. 

 

Resolved(Cr Cousins/Cr Edwards)                                        Minute No. DP 19202

“That the Subcommittee:

(i)       receives and notes the report; and

(ii)     asks the Mayor to organise an urgent workshop with Greater Wellington Regional Council to discuss the implications of the NZTA decision to defer funding of the Melling Interchange.” 

6.       QUESTIONS   

          There were no questions.

 

 

There being no further business the Chair declared the meeting closed at 6.50pm.

 

 

 

 

Deputy Mayor D Bassett

CHAIR

 

 

 

 

 

CONFIRMED as a true and correct record

Dated this 10th day of July 2019