2                                                 10 April 2019



Accessibility and Inclusiveness Plan Subcommittee


Minutes of a meeting held in the Council Chambers, 2nd Floor, 30 Laings Road,
Lower Hutt on

 Wednesday 10 April 2019 commencing at 3.30pm



 PRESENT:                       Cr G Barratt (Chair)                    Mr P Gruschow

Ms L Ledingham                          Ms G McLachlan


APOLOGIES:                  Apologies were received from Ms Masina and Mr Sexton.  


IN ATTENDANCE:       Ms L Knowles, Community Facilitator

Ms K Stannard, Divisional Manager, Democratic Services

Ms R Bowman, Committee Administrator






1.       APOLOGIES 

Resolved:  (Cr Barratt/Ms Ledingham)                              Minute No. AIPS 19201

“That the apologies received from Ms Masina and Mr Sexton be accepted and leave of absence be granted.”


Comments are recorded under the item to which they relate.


          There were no conflict of interest declarations.



Minutes of the Accessibility and Inclusiveness Plan Subcommittee held on 3 October 2018 and Matters Arising/Actions Taken (19/439)

Report No. AIPS2019/2/46 by the Divisional Manager, Strategy and Planning


Resolved:  (Cr Barratt/Ms McLachlan)                           Minute No. AIPS 19202

That the minutes of the meeting of the Accessibility and Inclusiveness Plan Subcommittee held on Wednesday, 3 October 2018, be confirmed as a true and correct record.”



Lime Scooters (19/435)

Ms McLachlan advised that she had raised concern regarding the unannounced lime
scooters with Upper Hutt City Council. 
She noted that there had been issues with the
scooters being left in the middle of footpaths and she had been harassed by school
children not riding the scooters safely.  She expressed concern with the lack of response
from Lime regarding her concerns.  She believed it was important to work with the
company on educating riders to ride the scooters safely and in turn protect the safety of
the community.


The Chair noted that the safety concerns needed to be discussed in greater depth.  She advised that she would ask the Divisional Manager, Strategy and Planning to follow up the concerns including the lack of policing of the age limit for riding a lime scooter.


Submission on the NZ Health & Disability Review - closes 31 May 2019 (19/436)

The Chair asked the Community Facilitator to follow up with the Divisional Manager, Strategy and Planning regarding the submission.


Changing Places Funding Request for an Additional Toilet for People with Disabilities (19/437)

The Chair advised that the Central Community Panel had agreed to allocate $100,000 towards the development of a toilet facility in the central city for persons with disabilities. 

In response to questions from members, the Chair would ask the Divisional Manager, Strategy and Planning to investigate if there was a register of accessible toilets designed to accommodate people with disabilities within the region and send the information to members.  She also advised that there was an accessible toilet designed to accommodate people with disabilities in Naenae and another accessible toilet was being looked at in the Lower Hutt CBD.  


Annual Plan (19/438)

Speaking under public comment, Mr Nelson elaborated on outstanding issues including upgrading the Huia Pool facilities and safety issues for the disabled community.  He questioned what was happening with implementing Council’s Accessibility and Inclusiveness Plan.  He strongly supported upgrading the footpaths and toilet facilities.  He expressed concern with the public transport in Hutt Valley as it was not frequent enough for the disabled.  He noted that disabled people were not able to access the replacement buses that Metlink was providing.  

Ms Ledingham expressed concern regarding her son being hassled for money while waiting for a bus.  She noted that her son had the right to feel safe when using public transport. 

In response to a question from a member, the Chair advised that Council had set up a Working Group to focus on preventing homelessness around the City.

Ms McLachlan elaborated on public transport.  He advised that Greater Wellington Regional Council was reviewing its Public Transport Plan.

Mr Gruschow advised that the replacement buses did not accommodate mobility scooters.

Ms McLachlan noted that smaller scooters were accepted on buses.

9.       QUESTIONS   

Ms McLachlan noted that a few members had resigned recently and asked whether there was the need to appoint new members?

Community Facilitator advised that there had been 12-13 applications orginally received expressing interest to be appointed onto the subcommittee.  She asked for guidance on whether to review these applications.  The Chair agreed that this was a good idea.

Mr Gruschow asked for further information on the $100,000 for the toilet facility.  The Chair agreed to ask the Divisional Manager Strategy and Planning to provide information on what had been prepared for the Annual Plan.


There being no further business the Chair declared the meeting closed at 4:00 pm.




Cr G Barratt





CONFIRMED as a true and correct record

Dated this 12th day of June 2019