2                                          18 February 2019



Petone Community Board


Minutes of a meeting held in the Petone Library, 7 Britannia Street, Petone on

 Monday 18 February 2019 commencing at 6.30pm



 PRESENT:                       Ms P Hanna (Chair)                    Mr M Branch

                                          Mr B Dyer                                     Mr M Fisher (Deputy Chair)

Mr P Foaese (from 6.33pm)         Ms K Yung

Cr T Lewis                                    Cr M Lulich


APOLOGIES:                  There were no apologies.


IN ATTENDANCE:       Mr D Simmons, Traffic Asset Manager (part meeting)

                                          Ms D Male, Committee Advisor




1.       APOLOGIES 

There were no apologies.


Mr Foaese joined the meeting at 6.33pm.


Comments are recorded under the item to which they relate.

3.       Presentations


Presentation by Moera Community House (19/114)

Ms Lorraine Dick, Community House Coordinator advised the following:

·        the community engagement funding support went a long way to keep the event free for the community and also to give back and connect with the community;

·        the support had allowed for professional activities on a larger scale to any previous events, which also helped to engage with teenage based activities;

·        TIa (Teen in Action) a local community dancing and singing group had also helped the organisers set up and they had a good attitude to volunteering.


Ms Yung wished to acknowledge all the work of Ms Dick to develop the event, also the Chair of the Board and Ms Ginny Anderson MP who helped on the day with face painting.

In response to a question from a member, Ms Dick advised that Moera Community House (the House) had been involved in the P2040 project and also had regular meetings with the coordinator of the Naenae Community Trust. She believed they were overlooked regularly by Council, unless officers wanted to run a programme through the House, however without financial backing or infrastructure in place to run the programmes. She noted these programmes would take away for example from their own exercise programmes currently run using the cottage, the House or the hall. She said they continued to work in the community, to gain funding and worked as a hub connecting to Moera Library and local residents. She added that the cottage had made a big difference and was often used for tutoring children with special needs.

The Chair requested officers to provide a progress report to a future meeting to include the renewal of the fort on the play area.

Mr Fisher congratulated the Community House representatives for their event and work. He said a significant issue have been raised and expressed concern that there were no senior officers present at the meeting to hear the views of the community.

Cr Lulich offered to arrange and attend a meeting at the Community House with officers.



Presentation by Petone Baptist Church (19/164)

Ms Jocelyn Smith, representing the Petone Baptist Church advised the following:

·         she thanked the Board for the community engagement funding support;

·         the Church had also been involved in the Petone Christmas Parade on Jackson Street, with their youth group being very involved, which included teenagers playing Mary and Joseph;

·        the event had been provided for the last 14 years, with 839 attending, which was down slightly on the usual 1,000 attendees of previous years; and

·         they took a census at the event to gain feedback to use to improve future events.

The Chair congratulated the Church representatives on the event. 



Presentation by Local Councillor from Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) (19/20)

Cr Prue Lamason from Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) advised the following:

·        The Airport Flyer bus service, a separate commercial service, would not be accepting Snapper cards from 24 February, payment was by cash and eftpos only. This would mean that the Metlink tracking would no longer show for the service from this date, as it linked to the Snapper service.

·        There was a high level of fire risk in all the surrounding regional parks. GWRC


staff had been advised to the cautious, there was a fire ban in place and it was hoped people had a greater awareness of fire risk, following the recent fires in the Nelson area.

·        GWRC was working with a Kiwi innovator, Good Nature, using chocolate in rat traps, only in areas where there were no possums.

·         Double decker buses had been planned for Eastbourne there was issues raised by Council and residents about damage to trees. Further talks were planned prior to the service change.

In response to questions from members, Cr Lamason advised that if double decker buses were introduced for Eastbourne, they were likely to travel down The Esplanade and not Jackson Street in Petone. She further advised that she was not aware of the review of bus stops planned on Jackson Street, but thought that consultation would take place prior to any changes. She noted the request to review the area of Jackson Street outside of the Jackson Street Programme office.



Presentation by Jackson Street Programme (19/21)

Ms Hellen Swales, Jackson Street Programme (JSP) Co-ordinator advised the following:

·        Time had been spent with Mr David Bachelor reviewing the Heritage Policy and JSP was disappointed there was no reference to a heritage precinct. JSP was working with P2040 and Council’s Urban Design Manager on a P2040 project to present to four building owners, the funding had to be spent by the end of June 2019.

·        A request had been made to Council for the installation of a disability park in Bay Street. The Board were asked to support the proposal.


·        An open dialogue with Lime Scooters was important, the Greater Wellington Regional Council parking bay for scooters for the park and ride at Petone was commended, JSP would like Council to also provide parking bays for scooters. Lime Scooters were scheduled to visit the Bob Scott Retirement Village to show residents the scooters, explain how they worked and to raise awareness of listening out for riders of the scooters ringing the bells. JSP had asked for a reduced presence of the scooters on Jackson Street, this request had been listened to and the scooters were moved on to the side roads. JSP had written to both the Minister of Transport and the New Zealand Transport Agency for a review of the legislation.

·        Jackson Street was benefitting from the increased foot traffic into the Hutt from Wellington and asked that the Board pushed Council for more investment in Petone.

The meeting was adjourned at 7.55pm and the meeting resumed at 8.03pm.


There were no conflict of interest declarations.  

5.       Minutes

Resolved:  (Ms Hanna/Ms Yung)                                       Minute No. PCB 19101

“That the minutes of the meeting of the Petone Community Board held on Monday, 5 November 2018, be confirmed as a true and correct record.”

6.       Reports referred for Board input before being considered by Subcommittee of Council

Gracefield Road - Proposed No Stopping At All Times Restrictions (19/157)

Report No. PCB2019/1/9 by the Assistant Traffic Engineer

The Traffic Asset Manager elaborated on the report.

In response to a question from a member, the Traffic Asset Manager confirmed that Council’s Traffic Bylaw 2017 allowed vehicles to park on the grass berm. He noted that was as long as there was no damage caused, or likely to be caused, or the view of the roadway was not obstructed.

Resolved:  (Ms Hanna/Mr Dyer)                              Minute No. PCB 19102

“That the Board endorses the recommendations contained in the report.”

Precedence of business

In terms of Standing Order 10.4, the Chair accorded precedence of business to items 9a), 9b) and 9c) relating to Reviews of Parking, prior to item 7, Committee Advisor’s Report.

The items are recorded in the order in which they were listed on the order paper. 


Committee Advisor's Report (19/22)

Report No. PCB2019/1/1 by the Committee Advisor


The Committee Advisor elaborated on the report.


Resolved:  (Ms Hanna/Mr Foase)                                       Minute No. PCB 19103

“That the Board:

(i)    receives and notes the report; and

(ii)   determines advertising spend up to $150 per financial year, via Facebook, for its 2019 meetings.”



New Zealand Community Boards Conference 2019 (19/149)

Memorandum dated 29 January 2019 by the Committee Advisor


The Chair elaborated on the memorandum.


Resolved:  (Ms Hanna/Ms Yung)                                       Minute No. PCB 19104

“That the Board:

(i)    notes the New Zealand Community Boards Conference to be held in New Plymouth from 11-13 April 2019 attached as Appendix 1 to the report;

(ii)   notes the estimated cost of attending the conference per Board member is approximately $1,500.00;

(iii)  notes that the Training Policy for Community Boards and Community Committees (the Policy) adopted by Council at its meeting held on 14 March 2017 limited the number of Community Board/Community Committee members to attend the biennial Community Boards conference to one per Board/Committee;

(iv)  notes that at a recent Councillors Planning session, Councillors asked officers to review the relevant section of the Policy (see part (ii) above) and report back to the next relevant Committee for consideration and recommending to Council;

(v)   agrees that one board member, Mr Dyer, attends the 2019 New Zealand Community Board Conference; and

(vi)  agrees, in principle, that an additional board member, Ms Hanna, attends the 2019 New Zealand Community Board Conference subject to Council adopting the revised Policy allowing more than one board member to attend if within the overall Boards training budgets and any expenditure beyond budget be personally funded.”

9.       Information Items


Review of Parking - No Stopping At All Times Restriction - Richmond Grove (19/101)

Memorandum dated 30 January 2019 by the Senior Traffic Engineer


The Traffic Asset Manager elaborated on the memorandum.


Resolved:  (Ms Hanna/Cr Lewis)                             Minute No. PCB 19105

“That the Board:

(i)    receives the information; and

(ii)   notes that officers will submit a report in Meeting Cycle 2 recommending the extension of the new No Stopping At All Times Restrictions in Richmond Grove, as requested by the requester.”



Review of Parking - Near 313 Jackson Street (19/116)

Memorandum dated 31 January 2019 by the Traffic Engineer - Network Operations


The Traffic Asset Manager elaborated on the memorandum.

In response to a question from a member, the Traffic Asset Manager advised that the owner of the liquor store still requested P15 restrictions. He confirmed the utilisation of the parking in the area had been reviewed and it was considered reasonable throughout the day.


Resolved:  (Ms Hanna/Cr Lewis)                             Minute No. PCB 19106

“That the Petone Community Board:

(i)    receives the information; and

(ii)   notes that no further action be taken at this time, although officers will likely review the parking in the area, near 313 Jackson Street, further once the effects of any changes to the bus stop are finalised and incorporated by Greater Wellington Regional Council.”



Review of Parking - Gear Street Parking Restrictions (19/132)

Memorandum dated 4 Feb 2019 by the Traffic Engineer - Network Operations


The Traffic Asset Manager elaborated on the memorandum.


Resolved:  (Ms Hanna/Cr Lewis)                             Minute No. PCB 19107

“That the Petone Community Board:

(i)    receives the information; and

(ii)   notes that officers will subsequently submit a report recommending further parking time restrictions on Gear Street.”



Chairperson's Report (19/23)

Report No. PCB2019/1/15 by the Chair, Petone Community Board


Speaking under public comment, Ms R Mansell, made a plea for a wider consultation on the Petone Library. She noted the library was the heart of Petone, it was important for families and older persons, it needed to be welcoming and still on a human scale for people to be comfortable there. She highly commended the Board for holding public sessions on the plans. She asked for more publicity for people to have a say in how they used the library and how they wanted to use the services. She noted it was important Councillors and senior officers listening to their input.

In response to a question from a member, Ms Mansell said that she had seen one picture of a proposed new library and thought that four storeys looked out of scale. She wanted the library to remain on a similar scale, with seating areas and views of the surrounding trees.


Speaking under public comment, Ms R Fletcher representing the Petone Planning Action Group (PPAG), expressed concern of first hearing of the consent application, with consultants already commissioned to put in the non-notified resource consent. She had thought that the Petone 2040 project was about identifying key areas of Petone. She believed the library was the centre of Petone, it was important to retain that and improve on the current building, which was flawed. She also believed that the library was being treated as a commercial property when it was actually held in trust for the benefit of the citizens. She would like to see links to services, although she had no issue with the inclusion of apartments to help to fund the project. She noted the PPAG Committee was recommended to write to the Mayor to ask to facilitate discussions.

In response to a question from a member, Ms Fletcher said she would like the parking to be retained and some of the accessways, with the potential for the building to create a centre. She highlighted the sun and trees needed to be focal points and the space was important to people.


Speaking under public comment, Mr J Serci, said that he had been an owner occupier in Bolton Street for 18 years. He had recently submitted to a resource consent hearing, where homes over 80 years old were to be demolished for a new development. He noted the hearing decision was due in five working days. He wanted to know more about how Petone could better protect its heritage, with Petone 2040 being important. He felt there was little support, with Council pushing its Urban Growth Strategy and not being focussed on Petone 2040. He wanted the Board to be aware of the spatial plan and incorporating Petone 2040.


Speaking under public comment, Mr D Jones representing the Korokoro Environmental Group, expressed views on Council’s Environmental Strategy and the Whaitua Committee. He noted the group was keen for the waterways to be reviewed and for improvements to be suggested. He hoped that any issues were addressed from other areas Whaitua Improvement Programmes, which did not have access to independent scientists.

Cr Lewis thanked the public speaker for bringing the community’s views to the Board. She advised that she would receive contact as Council’s repesentative on the Wellington Harbour/Hutt Valley Whaitua Committee.


Speaking under public comment, Mr R Schneider, said that he had operated a financial advice business in Britannia Street since 2010 and was a member of the Jackson Street Programme Board. He noted seven businesses had agreed to a mural being painted in the area to represent some of the European heritage of Petone. He expressed concern about the plans for the library without further consultation. He asked as many car parks be retained as possible, noting he was not adverse to progression.


Speaking under public comment, Mr S Seinger, Lime Scooters, advised that the company now had scooters in five cities in New Zealand, with total rides length the equivalent to 65 trips around the globe, 150,000 rides and 200 juicers in the Hutt Valley in two months. They were working with Greater Wellington Regional Council, who introduced a scooter parking space at Petone Station park and ride and were working with Wellington City Council to roll out a trial soon. Their community engagement would continue, with safety to be highlighted.

In response to questions from members, Mr Seinger advised that the road user rules would need to be considered by central government, with a view to updating legislation to make wearing helmets a requirement and other safety issues. He added that its terms and conditions were signed up by the user for each ride. He said that there was a support telephone number or email address for contact if someone had concerns about users of the scooters, such as children riding with adults.

In response to further questions from members, Mr Seinger advised that juicers were encouraged to park the scooters diagonally and take a photograph of each one. Lime Scooters were responsive to feedback on where the scooters should be parked at night, also data was analysed on usage and changes made using the information, all suburbs were using scooters. He added that where needed repairs were reported, the scooter would be put out of action and repairs completed within an hour or two where possible.


Speaking under public comment, Ms G Anderson MP acknowledged the work of the Board in particular the focus on housing in the area, on behalf of her team.


The Chair, Petone Community Board elaborated on the report. She congratulated the Korokoro residents newsletter writers for a very good newsletter.

She informed members of the five options, as discussed at Council’s Community Plan Committee meeting held on 2 February 2019, for the Petone Library as follows:

·           replacement of the current building, including building apartments above the community centre;

·           replacement of the current building with the addition of a master plan for the surrounding area;

·           repair and upgrade of the current building;

·           repair of the current building; or

·           explore the option of building a completely new building.

She highlighted the feedback received at the community sessions. Further sessions were to be held on 9 and 10 March with officers and Urban Plus Limited expected to attend. She noted Petone Library staff were arranging a display of old photographs of the previous library and the current library being built, to be ready for the sessions.  


She advised that there would not be formal consultation for Council’s upcoming Annual Plan, as there were no big changes to the Long Term Plan. She noted that members would receive information for community engagement, which was the planned approach for more informal consultation.

She added that the Greater Wellington Regional Council was running a Together, Stronger Campaign focussed on the Community Emergency Management Hubs initiative with WREMO information available online.


Cr Lewis provided an update on the Whaitua Committee. She advised the first day together had been spent on Matiu/Somes Island, at the grassroots would gain Iwi perspectives. She noted there were four people involved from the Hutt Valley who will work together.


In response to questions from members, the Traffic Asset Manager advised that as part of the review of bus stops on Jackson Street, pedestrian islands and kerb extensions were being considered. He confirmed that Council’s Transport Division was opposed to the tree cutting in relation to double decker buses driving to Eastbourne.


Resolved:  (Ms Hanna/Mr Fisher)                                      Minute No. PCB 19108

“That the Board notes and receives the report.”


11.     QUESTIONS   

There were no questions.

The members finished the meeting with a whakatauki.



There being no further business the Chair declared the meeting closed at 8.42pm.





Ms P Hanna





CONFIRMED as a true and correct record

Dated this 8th day of April 2019