2                                          6 November 2018



Eastbourne Community Board


Minutes of a meeting held in the East Harbour Women's Club, 145 Muritai Road, Eastbourne on

 Tuesday 6 November 2018 commencing at 7.15pm





Mr R Ashe (Deputy Chair)

Mr M Gibbons


Ms V Horrocks (Chair)

Ms L Knight


Cr T Lewis

Cr M Lulich


Ms A Sutherland




APOLOGIES:                  There were no apologies


IN ATTENDANCE:        Mr B Kibblewhite, General Manager, Corporate Services

Ms J Randall, Committee Advisor





1.       APOLOGIES 

There were no apologies.


Comments are recorded under the item to which they relate.


Speaking under public comment, Mr R Veldman, Team Leader from the Eastbourne Pool (the pool), updated the Board on plans for summer activities. He outlined a weekly plan of activities that he said should appeal to different sectors of the community. He advised the pool barbeques could be booked for local groups to fundraise.  He further advised the pool offered various discounts. He asked members for their ideas and comments on the pool programme.


In response to questions from members, Mr Veldman confirmed he had informed local schools about fundraising opportunities at the pool. He said opening times had been extended by an hour each day for the coming season. He added that if the season was to be extended, flyers would be distributed to inform swimmers.


The Chair offered to distribute information via her email networks if the season was to be extended.


Ms Knight noted the importance of ensuring Council’s website reflected changes to opening hours as well as pool closures for events.

3.       Presentation

Presentation by Local Councillor from Greater Wellington Regional Council (18/1700)

Cr Prue Lamason from Greater Wellington Regional Council (the Regional Council) updated members on the following:

·    Water restrictions were in place for daylight saving months. 

·    Regional parks were growing in popularity with more than 1.7 million     visitors to regional parks in the last year.

·    The summer programme for regional parks would be published soon.

·    The Te Kaeaea Track was to be officially opened the following weekend.

·    The new bridge at Baring Head was underway. The Regional Council was     also working with the Friends of Baring Head so that overnight     accommodation would be available for visitors.  

·    A new barrier had been installed at Burdan’s Gate with a bike squeeze     barrier and a pram portal to allow easier access for bikes and prams.

·     Pig hunting permits were now available.

Cr Lamason advised the bus shelter replacement programme would not destroy existing murals on bus stops in Eastbourne. She said they would be incorporated into the  new shelters.


Both the Chair and Mr Gibbons declared conflicts of interest in Item 6, the Eastbourne Community Board Community Engagement Fund.

5.       Minutes

Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Ms Knight)                                  Minute No. ECB 18505

“That the minutes of the meeting of the Eastbourne Community Board held on Tuesday, 4 September 2018, be confirmed as a true and correct record.”



Eastbourne Community Board Community Engagement Fund 2018-2019 (18/1703)

Memorandum dated 24 October 2018 by the Community Advisor - Funding and Community Contracts


The Chair and Mr Gibbons each declared a conflict of interest and took no part in discussion or voting on the matter.

Mr Ashe assumed the Chair.

Speaking under public comment, Mr B Spedding elaborated on the application  from the Eastbourne Lions Club. He advised a prototype radio station (the station) had been installed on top of Rona House. The station was solar powered, kept in a water proof box and used an available FM band. It currently broadcasted throughout Eastbourne and beyond Days Bay but could reach wider if stations were to be positioned on Matiu and Makaro Islands.  He said the station could be controlled remotely by a number of people. He would socialise the station with the community to create more resilience for when an emergency occurred. He noted there was no existing means to communicate widely with residents in the event of an emergency.

In response to questions from members, Mr Spedding explained the Wellington Windsurfing Association Inc (the Association) funding request was for plywood and timber to construct a wooden loft. It would be situated in a lock up room adjacent to the new skateboard ramp site. He said the loft would store used water sports gear to provide better community accessibility to water sports. Access would be via a key in a lock box. He said the Association would prefer not to wait until the next round of funding.

The Acting Chair recommended that all funding applications be assessed together so that each could be assessed fairly. He suggested the assessment of the applications be distributed via email and that the decision on the funding be postponed until this had happened.

The Committee Advisor agreed to arrange a meeting for the Board to make decisions on the applications.


Resolved: (Mr Ashe/Ms Sutherland)                                  Minute No. ECB 18506

“That the Board postpones decisions on the Community Engagement Fund until the applications can be assessed together.”


Ms Horrocks assumed the Chair.


2019 Meeting Schedule (18/1680)

Memorandum dated 17 October 2018 by the Divisional Manager, Democratic Services


Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Mr Gibbons)                                Minute No. ECB 18507

“That the Board:

(i)    agrees to the meeting dates for 2019 in respect of its own meetings attached as Appendix 2 to the memorandum;

(ii)   agrees the start time for its meetings will be 7.15pm;

(iii)  agrees the venue for its meetings will be East Harbour Women’s Clubrooms;

(iv)  notes that the Chair will set dates for informal meetings of the Board as the need arises; and

(v)   delegates authority to the Chief Executive in consultation with the Board Chair to alter the date, time or venue of a meeting, or cancel a meeting, should circumstances require this.”


Review of the Code of Conduct (18/1702)

Memorandum dated 23 October 2018 by the Divisional Manager, Democratic Services


Cr Lewis advised that if members chose not to adopt the amended Code of Conduct, they would continue to be bound by the existing Code of Conduct. She explained the amended Code of Conduct required complaints to be forwarded to the Mayor. She noted the existing Code of Conduct required complaints to be forwarded to the Chief Executive.

Ms Knight considered the criteria used to determine whether a complaint was trivial was unclear.   She did not consider the discretion of the Mayor and Chief Executive would necessarily result in a fair process without the opinion of an independent assessor. She asked for an appeals process for cases where complainants were not satisfied the Mayor and Chief Executive had been fair in the dismissal of their complaint.

The General Manager, Corporate Services, advised the amendments would allow more complaints to be dealt with inhouse and would save the expense of independent lawyers.  He believed that any complaint dismissed as trivial by the Mayor and Chief Executive would be equally likely to be dismissed by an independent investigator. 


Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Mr Ashe)                                     Minute No. ECB 18508

“That the Board:

(i)    notes the amendments to the Code of Conduct for Elected Members, attached as Appendix 1 to the report; and

(ii)   asks officers if there is an appeals process if the complainant is not satisfied the Mayor and the Chief Executive Officer have been fair in the dismissal of their complaint.” 


Chair's Report (18/1682)

Report No. ECB2018/5/139 by the Chair


The Chair elaborated on the report.

In response to a question from a member, the General Manager, Corporate Services advised that recommendations on the proposed Ecology and Landscapes District Plan Change (the plan change) would be presented to Council’s District Plan Committee in November and to Council at its meeting to be held in December.

Mr Ashe advised there would be more opportunity for discusssion once the plan change  was opened for consultation. He noted people who supported measures to protect the environment and had not yet been heard, but would have an opportunity to add their views.

The Chair noted the Board would have a role in encouraging engagement once the plan change consultation period began.

Mr Ashe and the Chair agreed to organise the Eastbourne Community Board stand for the Lions Fair in December. Mr Ashe agreed to organise a roster for the day. The Chair offered to hand out information on behalf of the Eastbourne Pool.

In response to a question from a member, Ms Sutherland advised that a Gill Road group of residents was still meeting regularly regarding the housing development on Waitohu Road and exploring options.  The development had been consented but building had not yet begun.

The Chair asked members to consider reviewing the Eastbourne Statement of Basic Principles in 2019. 


Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Mr Ashe)                                     Minute No. ECB 18509

“That the Board:


(i)    notes the report; and

(ii)   resolves to review the Eastbourne Statement of Basic Principles in 2019.”



Committee Advisor's Report (18/1678)

Report No. ECB2018/5/21 by the Committee Advisor


The Chair noted there were several  items listed on the Walkaround list that required the following amendments:

•        The blue tsunami lines had not yet been re-painted.

•        Consent for a housing development on Waitohu Road had been issued.

•        The post at the entrance to Bishops Park had not been fixed.

The Committee Advisor agreed to follow up these items.

The Chair noted that the 2019 Walkaround would be more streamlined with requests accepted only through residents’ groups. 


Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Cr Lewis)                                     Minute No. ECB 18510

“That the Board:

(i)    approves catering for its 2019 meetings as necessary;

(ii)   approves advertising in the Eastbourne Herald for its 2019 meetings; and

(iii)  agrees to hold a tour of its community with the tour scheduled for a date to be confirmed.”

 11.    Information Item

Bus Shelter Replacement Programme (18/1455)

Memorandum dated 5 September 2018 by Mr Ashe, member      

Members noted the memorandum.


12.     Reports from representatives on local organisations


Okiwi Trust (18/1669)


The Chair advised the Okiwi Trust (the Trust) was considering extending its service to rest home residents. The Trust was also considering merging with the Eastbourne –Bays  Community Trust since both covered the same relatively small area.


Educating Residents Around Trapping (ERAT) Steering Group (18/1670)


Ms Sutherland advised 1,737 pests had been caught over the past year. She further advised the group intended installing trap lines on the Mahina Bay and York Bay foreshores over the next few weeks.


Community Response Group (18/1672)


There was no update.


Plastic Free Eastbourne (18/1673)


There was no update.


Eastbourne Youth Workers' Trust (18/1674)


There was no update.


Eastbourne Childcare Community Group (18/1676)


There was no update.


Keep Hutt City Beautiful (18/1677)


The Chair advised a major project for the group in the current year was the ‘Streams to Sea’ programme for school children. Children were shown what happened to water as it travelled from streams to the sea.


13.     QUESTIONS   

Mr Gibbons advised he was in conversation with Council staff regarding the possibility of installing electric car chargers in Eastbourne.

Mr Gibbons tabled a preliminary design for the area between the Eastbourne Sports and Services Club and the community hall. He said the design included a wide pathway, gardens, tiles and artwork to enhance the area.

The Chair noted the refurbishment of the Rona Bay wharf had been excellent and  suggested sending Council positive feedback on the work so far.

Ms Knight asked when the refurbishment of the Days Bay wharf would begin. In  response, the Chair said the Rona Bay Wharf refurbishment was expected to be completed in December 2018 and the refurbishment of Days Bay Wharf was expected to begin in February 2019. She said the barriers to prevent jumping near the ferry docking area would remain in place.

The Chair asked for an update on the installation of the old jail house near the Rona Bay Wharf. She further asked whether there would be a request from the Eastbourne and Bays Menzshed for funding through the Annual Plan process in 2019. In response, Mr Gibbons advised placement of the old jail house depended on landscaping plans which were still not finalised. He further advised there would be a request through the Annual Plan process in 2019 from the Eastbourne and Bays Menzshed to fund the installation.

There being no further business the Chair declared the meeting closed at 8.52 pm.




Ms V Horrocks





CONFIRMED as a true and correct record

Dated this 19th day of February 2019