1                                                  12 June 2018



Eastbourne Community Board


Minutes of a meeting held in the East Harbour Women's Club, 145 Muritai Road, Eastbourne on

 Tuesday 12 June 2018 commencing at 7.15pm





Mr R Ashe

Mr M Gibbons


Ms V Horrocks (Chair)

Ms L Knight


Cr T Lewis

Cr M Lulich


Ms A Sutherland




APOLOGIES:                  There were no apologies.


IN ATTENDANCE:        Mr B Kibblewhite, General Manager, Corporate Services

Mr Z Moodie, Traffic Engineer – Network Operations
(part meeting)

Ms J Randall, Committee Advisor






1.       APOLOGIES 

There were no apologies.


Comments are recorded under the item to which they relate.


Members agreed to allow Mr Henderson, Mr Redpath and Ms Clendon to speak under public comment on matters that affected the local area.


Speaking under public comment Mr M Henderson of the Days Bay Residents’ Association (DBRA) raised the following issues:


·                A request for more street lighting in Days Bay and a review of existing lighting in the area.  Mr Henderson agreed to send his request to the Chair to be forwarded to the relevant Council officer.


·                The Days Bay Wharf Steering Group was concerned the escalating costs of the Rona Bay Wharf restoration could impact the Days Bay Wharf restoration.

The Chair said she would discuss Mr Henderson’s concerns with Council’s Divisional Manager, Parks and Gardens and request that he continue to involve the DBRA in the Days Bay wharf restoration process.  


·                A hand rail for elderly and disabled access on the side of the Days Bay Wharf had been damaged and Mr Henderson asked Council’s officers to review the benefits it provided before undertaking repair work. He noted that very few residents used the rail. He added that the sea might not be a safe place to enter for those who needed a hand rail. Mr Henderson requested the rail be removed in the interests of safety for all.


Members advised they would consider the perspective of the elderly and those with disabilities before recommending the hand rail’s removal.  The Chair agreed to email the DBRA comments to Council’s Divisional Manager, Parks and Gardens and discuss the matter with him.


Speaking under public comment, Mr G Redpath from the Eastbourne Scout Group outlined a plan to brighten up the side of the Eastbourne Scout Hall that faced the wharf, with a youth mural. He advised the group was seeking funding for the project and would apply to the Creative Communities Fund in November. He explained the mural would be carried out by a professional artist. Members offered verbal support for the project.


Speaking under public comment, Ms K Clendon thanked the Community Board and Council for the Rates Postponement Policy about to be adopted. She said she had been working with Cr Lewis over the last two years to progress the idea and was pleased Council had recently adopted a policy which would become effective from 1 July. Cr Lewis congratulated Ms Clendon on her contribution to the Rates Postponement Policy.

3.       Presentations

Presentation by Local Councillor from Greater Wellington Regional Council (18/817)

Cr Prue Lamason from Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) was unable to attend the meeting and sent her apology. The Chair updated the Board on her behalf:

·           Bus timetables would be changing on Sunday 17 June and train timetables would change on 15 July. There would also be changes to how snapper cards worked. GWRC staff would be on hand at transport centres to assist commuters with the changes.

·           The new Te Kaeaea track, named after the New Zealand Falcon, had opened in the East Harbour Regional Park. Mr Gibbons was thanked for his work alongside GWRC  to complete the track. Mr Gibbons advised there was still a 300 metre unfinished portion of the track that needed fine weather to be completed.


There were no conflict of interest declarations.

5.       Minutes

Mr Ashe noted the information provided to the Board on road closures at its 3 April meeting was misleading and had led the Board to an incorrect conclusion. The information had subsequently been re-sent to the Board in order of year date. The Board had noted the trend for road closures due to storm damage was getting worse.


Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Mr Gibbons)                                Minute No. ECB 18312


“That the minutes of the meeting of the Eastbourne Community Board held on Tuesday, 3 April 2018, be confirmed as a true and correct record.”


6.       Reports referred for Committee input before being considered by Standing Committee of Council

Proposed School Zones 40km/h Variable Speed Limits 2017/2018 (18/968)

Report No. ECB2018/3/164 by the Traffic Engineer - Network Operations

The Traffic Engineer – Network Operations elaborated on the report. He tabled a second option (attached as Appendix 1 to the minutes) for the school zone where road signs extended past Rimu Street at one end and past Makaro Street at the other. He updated the Board on the advantages and disadvantages of each option and recommended Option 1.  

In response to a question from a member, the Traffic Engineer – Network Operations said it was relatively inexpensive to relocate signs if the chosen option was not found to be effective.

Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Ms Knight)                        Minute No. ECB 18302


That the Board endorses the recommendations in the report in relation to Muritai Road outside Muritai Primary School.


a     Proposed School Zones 40km/h Variable Speed Limits 2017/2018 - Option 2



Chair's Report (18/808)

Report No. ECB2018/3/88 by the Chair


The Chair elaborated on the report and advised the following:

·           The shared path design would be available soon.

·           The  Representation Review Consultation was a statutory requirement for all Councils every six years. Members discussed the various benefits of Community Boards and Community Panels and the difficulty many residents would face making an informed choice without background knowledge. The Chair advised she would be checking the final consultation material to ensure Boards were accurately represented.

·           There would be a public meeting on Significant Natural Areas on 18 June at The Eastbourne Sports and Services Club, from 7pm to 8.30pm. Board members would be attending the meeting.

·           Council was currently consulting on how to prioritise roads identified as potential earthquake risks, with a focus on those that have high traffic or pedestrian numbers and a risk of falling masonry.  Rimu Street in Eastbourne had been identified as a high risk road.


Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Ms Knight)                                  Minute No. ECB 1830313


“That the Board notes the report.”



Representation Review - Options Consultation (18/955)

Report No. ECB2018/3/87 by the Divisional Manager, Strategy and Planning


The Chair advised she had emailed information about the Representation Review consultation to Eastbourne Residents’ Associations and could forward it to others if needed. She would try to obtain more useful documentation about the process.

Members discussed the consultation. It was suggested the Board could hold a public meeting with independent expertise to help inform the debate when the full consultation began in September. The Chair would contact other Community Boards and Panels and suggest a public meeting be held.


Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Mr Gibbons)                                Minute No. ECB 18304


“That the information in the report be noted and received.”



Ecology and Landscapes Consultation - Update (18/1002)

Memorandum dated 6 June 2018 by the Divisional Manager District Plan


The Chair advised that Board members would attend a public meeting on 18 June in Eastbourne where they would be updated on the consultation by Council officers.


Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Ms Knight)                                  Minute No. ECB 18305


“That the Board receives and notes the memorandum.”


Greater Wellington Regional Council  Bus Shelter Renewal Programme (18/843)

Memorandum dated 21 May 2018 by Mr M Gibbons.


Mr Gibbons advised he had requested that Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) consult with local residents before replacing bus shelters in Eastbourne since they had heritage and aesthetic value and enhanced the character of Eastbourne. He noted GWRC would need to consider the proposed shared pathway before replacing bus shelters. Mr Gibbons acknowleded that bus drivers preferred glass shelters so they could see if passengers were waiting.

Members agreed the current bus shelters were local icons and part of the character of Eastbourne. It was suggested the Board request a moratorium on replacing the Tawa Street bus shelter because of its historical value.

 Mr Ashe agreed to write to GWRC  to request the original attachments from the email to Mr Gibbons. Mr McRae, an  Eastbourne Herald reporter, offered to email the Chair the photo that showed a mural placed on laminates. The Chair would circulate the photo to Board members.


Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Ms Knight)                                  Minute No. ECB 18306


“That the Board notes and receives the report.”



Eastbourne Community Board's Submission to Hutt City Council's Long Term Plan (18/953)

Memorandum dated 31 May 2018 by the Committee Advisor


Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Mr Ashe)                                     Minute No. ECB 18307


“That the Board:


(i)    notes that a submission in respect of Hutt City Council’s Long Term Plan requires the Board’s retrospective endorsement; and


(ii)   endorses it’s submission attached as Appendix 1 to the memorandum.”



Committee Advisor's Report (18/658)

Report No. ECB2018/3/16 by the Committee Advisor


The Chair advised the $200,000 budget allocation in the Long Term Plan for sea level rise planning would be used to assist with mapping and engagement. She suggested the Board could help facilitate engagement on sea level rise in the Eastbourne area. The General Manager, Corporate Services noted that the funding allocation would help progress a regional approach to sea level rise.

Speaking under public comment, Mr O Spearpoint suggested small artificial rock islands  be considered to reduce the momentum of waves before they reached the road in stormy weather. The Chair said she would forward Mr Spearpoint’s idea to Council for discussion. She noted the proposed shared path would also help to protect the road. 

The Chair advised the Williams Park Wayfinder map was expected to be in place within two months.

A number of the Eastbourne Walkaround issues were identified as resolved or unresolvable and it was requested items be removed from the 2018 Walkaround log as follows:

•       Steve Newman – suggestion to demolish Williams Park caretaker House.

•       Phil Sprey - Wellesley College parking suggestion.

•       Steve Newman, Grant Stotter, Mike Henderson – Cleaning and emptying bins more often during peak summer.

•       Delphine Gore - Parking outside 601-603 Marine Drive.

•       John Rainey-Smith – Pitoitoi Road track resealing.

•       Rick Barnes – persistent flooding at 628 Marine Drive.


Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Mr Ashe)                                      Minute No. ECB 18308


“That the Board receives the report.”   






13.     Information Item

Proposed Building Development in York Bay (18/960)

In accordance with Standing Order 10.4, the Chair accorded precedence to the item dealing with a proposed building development in York Bay. This item is recorded in the order in which it is listed on the order paper.

Resolved: (Ms Horrocks/Mr Gibbons)                Minute No. ECB 18309


 “That, in terms of Standing Order 10.4, precedence be accorded to items dealing with a proposed building development in York Bay.”

Speaking under public comment, Mr I Bain explained that consent had recently been granted to develop 5,000 square metres of land at the top of Gill Road in Lowry Bay into five sections. Access would be from Waitohu Road in York Bay. 

He advised a moratorium on development had previously been placed on Upper Waitohu Road by the Eastbourne Borough Council when it was in existence. This decision was not transferred to Hutt City Council’s District Plan and as a result the non-notified consent application for a housing development had been unable to be challenged.

Mr Bain noted the engineer and traffic reports stated the road’s width and gradient were challenging and unfit for the weight of traffic the building development would create. Mr Bain agreed the road was not capable of supporting the development and already showed considerable slumping. He advised that trucks and ambulances had been unable to manage the Upper Waitohu Road gradient. He said residents would be lobbying for a review of the accessway’s condition. He added that Upper Waitohu Road was classified as a drainage reserve rather than a road and that some of the road was in private ownership.

Mr Bain said over 40 residents would be contacting Council to request the moratorium on development be re-instigated, the condition and suitability of the road be re-assessed, and the legal status of the road be clarified.

In response to questions from members, Mr Bain said he believed that access to the proposed development site from Gill Road  would also be challenging. Mr Bain believed there would be more traffic and more damage than was estimated in the consent process as a result of the development.  He said the road was already in poor condition and too narrow and steep for additional development. He added that residents had indicated they were willing to relinquish their ability to subdivide if the development moratorium on Upper Waitohu Road could be re-established.

The General Manager, Corporate Services offered to provide Mr Bain with Council officers’ contact details so he could progress his enquiries.

Members agreed that Upper Waitohu Road was difficult to navigate and that Mr Bain’s concerns were valid.  They offered their support and asked Mr Bain to keep them updated.


14.     Reports from representatives on local organisations


Eastbourne and Bays Community Trust (18/776)


Mr Gibbons advised that the Eastbourne and Bays Community Trust AGM would be held on 28 June. He said the Trust recently met to distribute $15,000 in grants to local community organisations.


Vibrant Village (18/777)


Mr Gibbons advised Council officers objected to the group’s chosen location for a Heritage Trail sign near the ferry terminal. He would be meeting with a Council Officer soon to negotiate a more suitable place. Mr Gibbons further advised the Eastbourne Sports and Services Club Heritage Trail signs would be erected on the next fine day. Mr Gibbons said he would ask the Council Officer for ideas as to how the area between the Eastbourne Sports and Services Club and the Community Hall could be improved to provide enough room for walkers to look at the Heritage Trail signs as well as allow cyclists to pass by.

Mr Gibbons advised he had been working with Mr R Marshall, Senior Communications Officer for Greater Wellington Regional Council, to make improvements to the McKenzie Track.


Okiwi Trust (18/778)


Ms Sutherland advised the AGM would be held on 8 August and the next meeting would be 27 June. She advised the Trust had recently provided a grant for first aid kits for cars.


Educating Residents Around Trapping (ERAT) Steering Group (18/779)


Ms Sutherland advised that all three Eastbourne schools were now taking part in the trapping programme and that 1,200 pests had been caught to date.




Days Bay Wharf Steering Group (18/780)


The Chair advised there was no update.


Community Response Group (18/781)


The Chair advised the Red Cross was currently investigating whether its garage by the fire station was still useful and fit for purpose.


Plastic Free Eastbourne (18/783).


Mr Ashe advised there was no update.

Speaking under public comment, Ms J Arnot from the Eastbourne Library (the library) advised the library was taking part in Plastic Free July. It had  connected with the Boomarang Bag scheme to hold a sewing bee in July to create more bags. She said the library welcomed involvement in community happenings.



Eastbourne Youth Workers' Trust (18/784)


Ms Knight advised numbers of youth attending youth evenings had increased significantly. She said the Trust had also recently run a self defence course for young women. She commended the Trust for their good work.


Eastbourne Childcare Community Group (18/785)


Ms Knight advised there was no update.


Keep Hutt City Beautiful (18/787)


The Chair advised funds had been allocated to the Keep Hutt City Beautiful Committee through the Long Term Plan.

15.     QUESTIONS   

There were no questions.









There being no further business the Chair declared the meeting closed at 9.34 pm.





Ms V Horrocks






CONFIRMED as a true and correct record

Dated this 4th day of September 2018