10 April 2017
Report no: PRC2017/2/110
Overseas Travel Approval - Policy Change
Purpose of Report
1. To approval changes to the Sensitive Expenditure Policy to allow the Chief Executive to approve overseas travel by Council employees.
That the Committee recommends that Council;
(i) approves the Chief Executive be given delegated authority to approve overseas travel for staff; and
(ii) approves the ‘tracked’ changes in the Sensitive Expenditure Policy attached as Appendix 1 to this report.
2. At present, overseas travel requires prior approval of the Finance and Performance Committee. Travel to Australia is considered to be domestic travel and can be approved by the manager of the travel budget to be charged.
3. Minute No. FPC 17116 from the Finance and Performance Committee meeting on 1 March 2017, requested officers to report back on whether the Chief Executive could be given delegated authority to approve overseas travel for staff, or have a cost limit for this delegation, within Council’s current Travel Policy.
4. Officers believe there is no reason why the Chief Executive should not be given delegated authority to approve overseas travel for staff.
5. Officers do not believe a cost limit for this delegation is necessary as the Chief Executive does not have restriction (other than budgets in the Long Term Plan and Annual Plans) for other types of operational expenditure.
6. The Sensitive Expenditure Policy is very clear and provides robust guiding principles to be adopted by all employees, including the Chief Executive, when making expenditure decisions of a sensitive nature.
7. A complete review of the Sensitive Expenditure Policy has not been completed. Changes have only been made to sections 3.1 and 3.2 of the policy to give the Chief Executive delegated authority to approve overseas travel.
8. A complete review of the policy is scheduled for 2018.
9. There are no legal considerations.
10. The financial considerations are covered in the report.
11. In making this recommendation, officers have given careful consideration to the purpose of local government in section 10 of the Local Government Act 2002. Officers believe that this recommendation falls within the purpose of the local government in that it provides a good quality and more effective regulatory process.
DOC 14 184800 (v5.0) FIN-POL-020 - Sensitive Expenditure Policy
Author: Brent Kibblewhite
Chief Financial Officer
Reviewed By: Joycelyn Raffills
General Manager, Governance and Regulatory
Approved By: Tony Stallinger