TO: Mayor and Councillors
Hutt City Council
FROM: Kathryn Stannard
DATE: 09 May 2017
SUBJECT: Alteration of Part of a Previous Council Resolution - Delaney Park
(i) notes its original resolution dated 15 December 2016 (Minute No. C 16506(3)) as follows:
“That Council agrees to provide for the following alcohol free areas within the city…part (f) Stokes Valley shopping centre and Speldhurst Park, Stokes Valley to be alcohol free zones at all times”…; and
(ii) agrees to alter part (f) of the resolution to include Delaney Park to be alcohol free zone at all times as follows:
Stokes Valley shopping centre, Delaney Park and Speldhurst Park, Stokes Valley to be alcohol free zones at all times as attached as Appendix 1 to the memorandum.
Purpose of Memorandum
1. To seek Council’s approval to alter part of a previous resolution of Council.
2. The previous Council, at its meeting held on 20 September 2016, resolved to appoint Hearings Commissioners for the period after the members of the Policy and Regulatory Committee vacated office and up to the appointment of the relevant Standing Committee. Cr Bridson was appointed Chair of the Hearings Commissioners.
3. The Hearings Panel met on 9 December 2016 to hear submissions on the Control of Alcohol in Public Places Bylaw and make recommendations to Council. Council, at its meeting held on 15 December 2016, agreed to the recommendations from the Hearings Panel.
4. Officers have discovered an oversight in the Council resolution (Minute No. C 16506(3)) where part f) of the resolution does not include Delaney Park to be alcohol free zones at all times although the map attached to the recommendations did reflect that the area was included.
5. The Stokes Valley shopping centre, Delaney Park and Speldhurst Park are three separate but connected areas. The Stokes Valley shopping centre connects to Delaney Park and then leads into Speldhurst Park.
6. The Stokes Valley shopping centre, Delaney Park and Speldhurst Park is the same area as was in the previous bylaw.
7. In discussion with the Chair of the Hearings Panel, Cr Bridson, she advised that the Hearings Panel did not discuss Delaney Park specifically and excluding Delaney Park was an unintentional mistake.
Stokes Valley area
Author: Kathryn Stannard
Divisional Manager, Secretariat Services
Reviewed By: Bradley Cato
Approved By: Joycelyn Raffills
General Manager, Governance and Regulatory