TO: Mayor and Councillors
Hutt City Council
FROM: Kathryn Stannard
DATE: 02 May 2017
SUBJECT: Changes to Terms of Reference and Subcommittee Membership
(i) approves the proposed amendment (as strike out) to the City Development Committee’s terms of reference as attached as Appendix 1 to the memorandum;
(ii) approves the amendment (as underlined) to the Community Boards’ delegations as attached as Appendix 2 to the memorandum;
(iii) approves the amendments to the Wellington Region Waste Management and Minimisation Plan Joint Committee’s (WMMP) terms of reference to reflect the following:
(a) that territorial authorities can appoint an alternate member to attend and vote at its meetings in the appointed member’s absence; and
(b) that the WMMP Joint Committee will agree at the beginning of each triennium where meetings are to be held; and
(iv) appoints Cr Lewis as an alternate to the WMMP Joint Committee; and
(v) appoints Cr Bridson as a sitting
member of the Traffic Subcommittee and
Purpose of Memorandum
1. As an administrative matter to seek Council’s agreement to amend
the City Development Committee’s terms of reference, amend the Community
Boards’ delegations, change the membership of the Traffic Subcommittee and
approve the amendment to the Wellington Region Waste Management and
Minimisation Joint Committee’s terms of reference.
City Development Committee
2. The Divisional Manager Strategic Services is asking if the wording regarding the public art funding could be deleted from the City Development Committee’s terms of reference as the matter is already reflected under the Arts and Culture Subcommittee’s terms of reference. See Appendix 1 for the terms of reference for the City Development Committee to include the amendment.
3. The Divisional Manager Parks and Gardens is asking Council if the wording regarding the removal or planting of trees might be made clearer to the Community Boards’ delegations. The removal and planting of street trees is an operational matter administered by officers in terms of the Council’s policy. The delegation to Community Boards is to make decisions on only those matters where a dispute arises that cannot be resolved at officer level. See Appendix 2 for the proposed Community Boards’ delegations to include the amendment.
Wellington Region Waste Management and Minimisation Joint Committee
4. A request has come from the Wellington Region Waste Management Minimisation (WMMP) Joint Committee asking territorial authorities within the Wellington region to appoint an alternate to the WMMP Joint Committee.
5. Cr Lewis has been approached to be the alternate to sit on the WMMP Joint Committee in the absence of the appointed member, Cr Bridson. Subject to approval by Council, Cr Lewis is pleased to accept the appointment.
6. The WMMP Joint Committee is also asking territorial authorities to approve amendments to its terms of reference to reflect the appointment of the alternate and the location of its meetings.
7. Cr Bridson has been approached to sit as a member of the Traffic Subcommittee instead of an alternate. Cr Barratt will be the alternate. Subject to approval by Council, Cr Bridson is happy to accept the appointment.
Updated TOR City Development Committee
Functions and Delegations for Community Boards 2016-2019
Author: Kathryn Stannard
Divisional Manager, Secretariat Services
Reviewed By: Bradley Cato
Approved By: Joycelyn Raffills
General Manager, Governance and Regulatory