HUTT CITY COUNCIL
Community Plan Committee
Report of a meeting
held in the Council Chambers, 2nd Floor, 30 Laings Road,
Lower Hutt on
Tuesday 16 May 2017 commencing at 9.30am and reconvening on
Wednesday 17 May 2017 commencing at 9.30am
Cr G Barratt Cr C Barry
Deputy Mayor D Bassett Cr L Bridson
Cr J Briggs Cr MJ Cousins
Cr S Edwards Cr T Lewis
Cr M Lulich Cr G McDonald
Cr C Milne Cr L Sutton
APOLOGIES: There were no apologies.
IN ATTENDANCE: Mr T Stallinger, Chief Executive (part meeting)
Mr B Kibblewhite, Chief Financial Officer (part meeting)
Ms K Kelly, General Manager, Strategic Services (part meeting)
Mr B Sherlock, General Manager, City Infrastructure (part meeting)
Ms J Raffills, General Manager, Governance and Regulatory (part meeting)
Mr M Reid, General Manager, Community Services (part meeting)
Mrs J Stevens, Corporate Planner (part meeting)
Mr B Hodgins, Divisional Manager, Parks and Gardens (part meeting)
Mr G Craig, Divisional Manager, City Development (part meeting)
Ms W Moore, Divisional Manager, Strategy and Planning (part meeting)
Mr M Sherwood, Divisional Manager, Leisure Active (part meeting)
Mr S Keatley, Community Facilities Manager (part meeting)
Ms M Laban, Community Projects and Relationship Manager (part meeting)
Mr M Mercer, Divisional Manager, Community Hubs (part meeting)
M A Yip, Manager Strategic Projects (part meeting)
Ms C Christensen, CBD Development Manager (part meeting)
Mr A Marsh, Parks Asset Manager (part meeting)
Mr P Maaka, Urban Design Manager (part meeting)
Mr S Cager, Senior Project Engineer
Ms S Simcox, Communications and Marketing Team Leader (part meeting)
Mr B Monaghan, Divisional Manager, City Promotions (part meeting)
Ms S Beath-Croft, Environmental Sustainability Advisor (part meeting)
Ms S Lytollis, Communications and Marketing Advisor (part meeting)
Ms L Knowles, Community Facilitator (part meeting)
Ms H Stewart, Youth Council Facilitator (part meeting)
Mr C McKenzie, Marketing Advisor (part meeting)
Ms J Randall, Administrative Support Officer (part meeting)
Ms K Glanville, Senior Committee Advisor (part meeting)
Ms S Haniel, Committee Advisor (part meeting)
Mrs H Clegg, Minute Taker (part meeting)
“That the apology received from Cr Barry for lateness on Wednesday, 17 May 2017, be accepted.”
2. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
3. CONFLICT OF INTEREST DECLARATIONS
There were no conflict of interest declarations.
Tuesday 16 May 2017
Mr Joseph Wyse presented submission DAP17/125. He expressed concern at the cost of overruns with the tender process and believed that monies should be spent on affordable housing. He expressed further concern with the poor state of footpaths and vegetation in the City.
Mr Stuart Reid presented submission DAP17/210. He asked members to encourage innovative architecture with urban designers.
In response to questions from members, Mr Reid believed that coatings could be applied to the glass flood barriers to help prevent etched graffitti. He said he had not undertaken engineering investigative works as to how much land could be saved by not building stopbanks. He explained that the glass flood barriers were not a constant wall, as access points would be provided. He added the glass flood barriers were a cheaper, more effective alternative to stopbanks and that there were many engineering solutions to flood protection.
Mr Paul Duffin presented submissions DAP17/721 and DAP17/730. He explained the good work that the student exchange programme undertook, and the positive publicity it produced for the city.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Duffin advised that if full funding was reinstated, it would provide an opportunity for more students to apply and experience the programme.
Mr Bob Moffat presented submission DAP17/902.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Moffat supported the digitisation of the Dowse Art Museum items.
Dr David Tripp presented submission DAP17/1029.
Ms Elaine Richardson presented submission DAP17/1105. She expressed concern with the lack of maintenance of cycle accessways, particularly in the Western Hills.
Mr Rhys Jones on behalf of survivors and rescuers during the Wahine disaster and their families presented submission DAP17/871.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Jones said the confirmed numbers to attend proposed ceremonies had yet to be determined but up to 50 survivors had so far indicated they wished to be involved.
Ms Candace Williams, Mr Ewert Anderson and Mr David Percy representing Wingate Business Group presented submission DAP17/1131. Mr Anderson advised that the Wingate area experienced a high number of boy racers.
In response to questions from members, Ms Williams said they were currently assessing a security proposal where the monitoring company would monitor the cameras, and contact the police if appropriate. She noted that the Seaview security system worked well and opined the problems may have shifted to Wingate. She advised they had not discussed the issue of rubbish, vandalism and tagging in the area with Council officers. She stated the Business Group was not seeking full funding for the security cameras as the businesses in the area would cover the ongoing maintenance of the system. She was receptive to meeting with officers to discuss youth initiatives. Mr Anderson agreed it would be advantageous to have discussions with Council’s City Safety Manager regarding community patrols in the area.
Mr Phil Gibbons and Ms Nicky Sherriff presented submission DAP 17/962. Mr Gibbons explained Sport Wellington was developing a regional strategy to enable all key stake holders in health, sport and recreation areas to work together.
In response to questions from members, Mr Gibbons said that nationwide evidence showed sports hubs were the way forward for many clubs. He considered a regional approach to leisure facilities was required, to enable sustainable funding to be used in the best possible way.
The meeting adjourned at 11.07am and reconvened at 11.25am.
Mr Glen Todd and Ms Julie Thomson representing Volunteer Hutt presented submission DAP17/960.
In response to questions from members, Ms Thompson acknowledged that Volunteer Hutt received funding from other funding streams. She said for the organisation to continue having a significant impact in the Hutt and to be sustainable it required continued funding.
Mr Steven Winyard presented submission DAP17/73.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Winyard suggested more recycling facilities should be available at Seaview.
Mr Trevor Mitchell presented submission DAP17/1011.
Ms Dana Carter and Ms Micheline Evans representing Enviroschools presented submission DAP17/946. They highlighted the collaborative proposal for Enviroschools to work with Council on a long term basis. The regional programme supported youth education and the engagement of residents.
In response to a question from a member, Ms Carter and Ms Evans explained that on a national scale, Hutt City did not perform well in the waste and recycling efforts.
The following action points were agreed:
DAP17/902 Bob Moffat – officers to advise on the Dowse
building maintenance and report back to the relevant committee regarding
digitising the Dowse collection;
· DAP 17/125 Joseph Wyse – officers to follow up to ensure work undertaken by contractors was standardised;
· DAP 17/1029 Dr David Tripp – officers to report back regarding progress about the cycleways;
· DAP17/1105 Elaine Richardson – officers to investigate the maintenance programme for the Riverlink project to include the maintenance of the Western Hills cycle access;
· DAP17/1131 Wingate Business Group – officers to investigate community patrols in the Wingate area and other options to assist with issues in the area egboy racers;
· DAP17/946 Enviroschools – officers to provide a progress update regarding waste minimisation;
· DAP 17/871 Rhys Jones - officers to report on Wahine commemorations;
· Members asked that officers report back on the wharves in particular; the possible impact on the aquifer and the types of timber proposed for the refurbishments;
· DAP17/210 Stuart Reid – officers to write to Greater Wellington Regional Council for an official response regarding glass flood protection barriers.
Mr Colin Kelly presented submission DAP17/460.
Mr Neville Hyde and Mr Mark Futter representing Hutt Chamber of Commerce presented submission DAP17/949. They expressed support for the stimulation initiatives, the rates differentials, the revised incentives, and a rates freeze.
Mr Paul Caygill representing Normandale Residents’ Association presented submission DAP17/1167.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Caygill asked Council to investigate ways to improve recycling collections taking into account the windy conditions.
The meeting adjourned at 12.42pm and reconvened at 1.30pm.
Ms Virginia Horrocks and Mr Murray Gibbons representing Eastbourne Community Board presented submission DAP17/404. They thanked the officers for their work and consultation to date on the wharves issue.
In response to questions from members, Ms Horrocks advised most users of the Point Howard wharf were fishers from outside the region and were unlikely to make a submission to Council’s Annual Plan. She considered that as a result of climate change research, Eastbourne would have access problems in the future, and that re-planning for the whole of the city was required.
Mr Graeme Hall presented submission DAP17/1123. He said refurbishment rather than renewal of the wharves was the preferred option.
In response to questions from members, Mr Hall agreed wharves were utilised by people in the Wellington region and were a regional asset. He considered that opening up Rona Bay and Point Howard wharves to ferries would ease road traffic congestion.
Mr Graeme Hall representing Great Harbour Way Te Aranui O Poneke Trust presented submission DAP17/1124. He explained that funding had already been allocated for the shared pathway, and he stressed the project was vital.
Mr Gavin Wallace representing Wainuiomata Historical Museum Society presented submission DAP17/1.
In response to questions from members, Mr Wallace explained that the Wainuiomata Museum was open for two hours on a Sunday, or by appointment. He said that visitor numbers varied between 0-20 a day (between 500 and 600 per year).
Mr Jeremy Winter representing Muritai Yacht Club presented submission DAP17/898 662 and DAP17/933. He said that removal of the Rona Bay wharf would increase storm damage to the area.
Barry Wilson and Finbar Kiddle representing Heritage New Zealand presented submission DAP17/662. Mr Kiddle advised that Rona Bay and Days Bay wharves both had Category 2 classifications, and that along with the Petone Wharf, they were all Scheduled Heritage sites in various plans (District and Regional). He added he was unaware of any heritage aspects of the Point Howard Wharf. He stated Heritage NZ’s preference was for Australian hardwoods to be used. He noted this was used when the wharves were originally built and was more durable than pine.
Mr Arthur Bush presented submission DAP17/107. He considered Council had shown a lack of attention to stormwater reticulation in Stokes Valley.
The Mayor asked officers to investigate the stormwater issues at Horoeka Street, Stokes Valley.
Mr Stephen Malcolm presented submission DAP17/713.
Bharat Ratanpal (Chair) and several members representing Wainuiomata Sportsville presented submission DAP17/980. Mr Ratanpal stressed there was an urgent requirement for a modern sports facility for the Wainuiomata suburb to ensure all codes remained viable. He explained that all codes would be responsible for their own club and would pool resources.
In response to questions from members, Mr Ratanpal explained the clubs understood fundraising would need to be undertaken. He noted that no club had yet committed any funds to the project. He added it was the intention to not request further funds from Council. He acknowledged Wainuiomata Rugby had not endorsed the draft, and that Cricket Wainuiomata had agreed in principle.
Mayor Wallace requested officers to prepare an urgent update around costings and what was required to assist in operational planning for the Wainuiomata Sportsville proposal.
The meeting was adjourned at 3.13pm and reconvened at 3.23pm.
Ms Pam Hanna representing Petone Community Board presented submission DAP17/741. She expressed concern regarding stormwater pipes discharging into the newly restored sand dunes at the end of Queen Street, Petone.
In response to a question from a member, Ms Hanna expressed concern at a possible conflict of the future use of North Park as Petone 2040 required it for access and Sportsville required it for a building.
Ms Sandy Nimmo representing Rimutaka Inline Hockey Club Inc presented submission DAP17/2 and introduced supporters from the Avalon Club. She requested Council assistance in the creation of a new outdoor skating facility, as the current facility was unusable. She said she had conducted initial discussions with Council officers.
Mayor Wallace requested additional information from officers regarding the Club’s request.
In response to questions from members, Ms Nimmo said a new rink would be compatiable with other sports, including cycling, miniature racing and all forms of skating. She stated that the Club would be willing to work with the Fraser Park Sports Hub.
Mr Warren Thessman presented submission DAP17/979. He expressed concern regarding the safety of the road to Eastbourne, due to its narrowness, and questioned the installation of a shared pathway alongside it.
The Senior Project Engineer advised there were two width options for the proposed shared pathway - 2.5m and 3.5m. He said that due to the terrain around the Eastern Bays, the pathway would vary in width.
Mr Sigurd Magnusson presented submission DAP17/1008.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Magnusson said that a regional approach to electric vehicles was being promoted through a Working Group across the nine councils in the Wellington region.
The Chief Executive advised that Council replaced one fleet vehicle per year with an electric vehicle.
Mr Don Manning representing Sailability Wellington Trust presented submission DAP17/190. He said he had spoken with the Manager from Seaview Marina who was receptive to the idea of a Mariner’s Shed. He requested Council funding in the interim, and considered that after approximately six years the enterprise would be self-funding.
In response to questions from members, Mr Manning advised he had not yet approached other organisations for funding as he required a guarantor. He added that since the Trust had begun, it had raised over $1M for various projects.
Mr Derek Richardson presented submission DAP17/1128. He reiterated the importance of an overall strategy and plan for the Urban Cycleway Strategy to raise awareness amongst citizens and to integrate all infrastructure.
Mr Daryl Green and members representing Hutt City Youth Council presented submission DAP17/947. He believed that as well as Sportsville, ‘Creativevilles’ should also be built to cater for those who are not sports minded. He asked that the Naenae Hub be brought forward.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Green confirmed the Hutt City Youth Council would provide Council with feedback on a number of issues, including the Local Authoriy Plan.
The following action points were agreed:
· DAP17/404 Eastbourne Community Board – officers to provide information regarding climate change and Council’s future planning;
· DAP17/979 Warren Thessman – officers to provide an update regarding the Eastern Bays Shared Walkway;
· DAP17/1 Wainuiomata Historical Society – officers to follow up with submitter regarding the amount of funding being requested;
· DAP17/107 Arthur Bush – officers to provide an update regarding the Horoeka Street, Stokes Valley stormwater issues raised by the submitter;
· DAP17/980 Sportsville Wainuiomata – officers to provide an update about the costings of the project and the operational plan;
· Members requested additional information regarding the Petone Grandstand;
· DAP17/741 Petone Community Board – officers to follow up regarding stormwater from Queen Street, Petone discharging into sand dunes;
· DAP17/2 Rimutaka Inline Hockey Club Inc – officers to report back to the relevant Committee regarding the Avalon Inline Rink;
· DAP17/947 Hutt City Youth Council – officers to provide an update regarding the possible impact of the Melling interchange project on the Melling Skateboard Park;
· Cr Cousins requested an update about the greening of Queens Drive; and
· DAP17/1008 Sigurd Magnusson - officers to provide an update regarding electric vehicles and charging stations around the City.
Dido Dunlop presented submission DAP17/1037. She said that building projects needed to be sited further from current water lines and extensive public education was required on climate change issues.
Ms Esther Venning representing Love Wainuiomata presented submission DAP17/1034.
In response to a question from a member, Ms Venning explained the second stage of the Love Wainiuomata vision was ‘Tourism Wainui’.
The following action points were agreed:
· Members asked officers for additional information about the rates differential and freeze. The Chief Executive advised that it would be appropriate to review this when the Revenue and Financing Policy was reviewed in late 2017;
· Members asked officers for additional information concerning the aquifer and whether Rona Bay wharf helped prevent coastal erosion;
· DAP17/1034 Love Wainuiomata – officers were asked to assist the submitter’s request for assistance; and
· Members asked officers to investigate if there were any resources to assist the Naenae community.
The meeting adjourned at 5.13pm and reconvened at 6.00pm.
Mr Gareth Edwards representing Lowry Bay Yacht Club presented submission DAP17/918.
In response to questions from members, Mr Edwards agreed that a starter boat could provide a solution. He noted that the boat would require a minimum of three crew, maintenance, mooring and compliance costs.
Mr Terrance Poynter presented submission DAP17/1001.
Cr Barry left the meeting at 6.14pm.
Mr Carl Bakker representing Petone Urban Environmental Association presented submission DAP17/920.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Bakker agreed that major Petone projects should be completed through Petone 2040, with proper consultation and resourcing.
Ms Jan Milne and Ms Anna Brownlee representing Hutt Valley Tennis (HVT) presented submission DAP17/1116. Ms Milne said that HVT’s financial situation had occurred due to Council’s proposed Fraser Sportsville and asked that Council treat all sports in an equitable manner.
Cr Barry rejoined the meeting at 6.30pm.
Mr David Syms, Mr Allan Hewson, Mr Gerry Salmon representing Petone Sportsville Board (PSB) presented submission DAP17/753. Mr Hewson advised that bringing $300,000 forward to the 2017/18 budget would enable a funding plan to be developed, full consultation to occur, final plans to be approved and a staged development plan developed.
In response to questions from members, Mr Syms advised they had the support of eight sports clubs. He confirmed that the PSB had held discussions with the Petone 2040 Group. He acknowledged the Petone Working Men’s Club submission and agreed that the two organisations could be working closer together. He stated the clubs were committed to moving forward.
Anita Mansell representing the Multicultural Council presented submission DAP17/875.
Casey Diver presented submission DAP17/919.
Mr Ron Beernink presented submmission DAP17/352.
Mr Timon Bakker representing Hutt Cycle Network presented submission DAP17/1117.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Bakker explained a paradigm shift was required towards cycling.
Ms Merran Bakker presented submission DAP17/724.
In response to questions from members, Ms Bakker agreed that while the Naenae Bowling Centre upgrade was an asset, it was not the type of facility required in the area. She considered investment in housing and retail facilities would be more advantageous for the Naenae suburb.
Ms Laura Skilton presented submission DAP17/655.
Tute Porter-Samuels presented submission DAP17/1033. She queried the engagement process for the Annual Plan and expressed concern that few in the Pacifika and Maori community had made submissions.
Mr James Beban presented submission DAP17/733. He said the Rates Remissions Policy had promoted four additional residential developments in the Hutt Valley. He suggested there was scope to provide for larger developments with possibly a second tier of remissions.
Mr Zinny McCormick presented submission DAP17/909. He cautioned forcing sporstvilles on to sports clubs. He asked Council to undertake a robust due diligence process.
Mayor Wallace left the meeting at 8.47pm. Deputy Mayor Bassett assumed the chair.
Mr Gerald Davidson representing Lower Hutt Historical Society presented submission DAP17/691.
Mayor Wallace rejoined the meeting at 8.52pm and resumed the chair for the duration of business.
Mr Jim Hogg representing the Petone Working Men’s Club (PWMC) presented submission DAP17/981. He expressed concern about the amount of consultation undertaken to date. He said that while PWMC supported the sportsville concept in general, at present it did not support Petone Sportsville.
In response to questions from members, Mr Hogg agreed additional consultation was required. He considered that the Fraser Park Sportsville should be completed prior to other sportsvilles being developed. He said that Petone 2040 should be in consultation talks with the Sportsville Committee.
The following action points were agreed:
· DAP17/352 Ron Beernik – officers to advise on the state of the pedestrian access around the new Rebel Sports/Briscoes building in Petone and investigate where the building fits within design guidelines;
· DAP17/733 James Beban – officers to advise when the Rates Remission Policy was due for review;
· Members asked officers to provide a detailed report to the Community Plan Committee meeting on 8 June 2017 regarding Sportsvilles;
· Cr Briggs asked officers to include ethnicity details in the statistical analysis of Annual Plan submissions in the future;
· Members asked officers to provide a detailed report to the Community Plan Committee meeting on 8 June 2017 regarding the Wharves;
· DAP17/919 Casey Diver – officers to provide an update from Healthy Families about the state of mental health of youth; and
· DAP17/655 Laura Skilton – the Chief Financial Officer to respond to the rate issue queries raised by the submitter.
The meeting adjourned at 9.10 pm.
Wednesday 17 May 2017 9.30 am
Ms Tracy Coleman and Mr Max Shierlaw representing Maungaraki Community Association presented submission DAP17/735. Ms Coleman advised that the Association supported the projects occurring on the valley floor. It was noted there was no current investment in Maungaraki.
In response to questions from members, Ms Coleman advised that there were public toilets in the community centre, but unfortunately they were accessed by walking through meeting rooms. She noted the Association’s support for upgrading sports fields on the Western Hills.
Ms Claire Allan and Mr Wayne Rogers (Bulk Storage) representing Seaview Business Association (SBA), presented submission DAP17/1232.
In response to questions from members, Ms Allan advised that since the installation of CCTV cameras in the area, the boy racer issue had moved to other areas in the City. She said SBA was currently in discussions with the Police to install additional cameras, as they also aided in stopping crime and vandalism. She informed members that SBA had been advised that there would be no Heavy Traffic Bylaw for the Seaview area.
Mr Dave Grant presented submission DAP17/912. He believed up to 40 residential properties would be affected by the Petone Sportsville proposal and that parking in the area would be placed under future strain. He expressed opposition regarding Petone Sportsville.
Cr Barry joined the meeting at 10.05am.
Ms Jo Clendon presented submission DAP17/477. She requested that the Walking and Cycling Strategy be reviewed.
Ms Alison Black (Youth Inspire), Ms Karen Morgan (Principal of Taita College) and supporters representing Youth Inspire presented submission DAP17/1222. Ms Morgan advised that Youth Inspire worked to provide college leavers with viable options for their future. Ms Black detailed the success of the youth involved in the programme in Wainuiomata, and that in order to expand to Naenae and Taita, resourcing and funding were required.
In response to a question from a member, Ms Black confirmed the systems were in place to begin an expansion of the Youth Inspire programme in the Naenae and Taita areas, once funding was obtained.
Ms Sarah Crawford presented submission DAP 17/1202. She believed the wharves were an integral part of the harbour, were easily accessible and had no financial barriers for people to enjoy their use.
Mr Matt Claridge presented submissions DAP17/758 and DAP17/1125.
Mr Norman Wilkins presented submission DAP17/416. He said that the Petone wharf should be used for commuters, and that the wider section should be retained to enable shelters to be built for patrons using a ferry service.
Mr Richard Sinnott representing Wainuiomata Community Board presented submission DAP17/968. He stated the Board’s support for Wainuiomata Sportsville. He considered Council had a role to play in the provision of housing and requested Council’s continued support for the number of residential developments currently occurring in Wainuiomata. He also requested Council continue to support the Wainuiomata Mall revelopment.
The meeting adjourned at 11.05am and reconvened at 11.20am.
Ms Sue Lafrentz presented submission DAP17/844. She noted that some residents were struggling to pay their rates. She said Council spending should either be spread over a 10-20 year period or cut now.
Mr John and Elisa Mendzela presented submission DAP17/543.
In response to questions from members, Mr Mendzela considered that not all projects in the Annual Plan 2017/18 were necessary. He said it was important to focus on the core functions of Council and then investigate complementary functions when assessing projects.
Mr Mike Fisher presented submission DAP17/1065 and DAP17/1140.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Fisher advised that parking issues in Petone impacted on residents, commuters and workers of the area.
Mr John Russell representing Naenae College presented submission DAP17/805.
Mr Mike Mellor representing Living
Streets Aotearoa presented submission DAP17/810.
Mr Gabriel Tupou presented submission DAP17/1171. He advised that there was an affordable housing shortage in Wainuiomata and the wider City.
The following action points were agreed:
· DAP17/810 Living Streets Aotearoa – officers to provide a street audit;
· DAP17/1222 Youth Inspire – officers to report back on what the funding would look like;
· DAP17/477 Jo Clendon – officers to provide a report on the delivery of the Cycling Strategy;
· DAP17/1232 Seaview Business Association – officers to report back on:
1. Gracefield proposal for parking;
2. Heavy Vehicle Bylaw to assist moving boy racers out of the Seaview and Wingate areas; and
3. Parking outside the Seaview Marina entrance;
· DAP17/735 Maungaraki Community Association – officers to provide costings for toilets and water fountains; and
· Cr Milne asked that requests for $10,000-$20,000 be assessed for community grant criteria.
The meeting adjourned at 12.40pm and reconvened at 1.30pm.
Ms Diane Livingstone and Helen Carter representing Wellington Free Ambulance (WFA) presented submission DAP17/607.
In response to questions from members, Ms Livingstone advised that central government had announced further funding for ambulance services from 73% to 78%. She said that Council funding was the only regular funding received within the 4.2% fundraised by WFA. She noted that when funding was locked in it took the pressure off the organisation.
Ms Libby Wilson and Ms Christine Wakefield representing Team Naenae Trust presented submission DAP17/1225. Ms Wilson said that Naenae needed to see investment in the area to plant hope in the community from Council.
Mr Allan Sainsbury representing Citizens Advice Bureau Lower Hutt (CAB Lower Hutt) presented submission DAP17/608.
In response to questions from members, Mr Sainsbury advised that CAB Lower Hutt did not usually apply for funding through community engagement funds. He noted that it was highly competitive to obtain funding. He said that a CAB could be sited within a community hub however it was important that it be close to a transport hub and in a discreet position.
Cr Barry rejoined the meeting at 1.58pm.
Mr Jamie Marment and students representing Wilford School presented submissions DAP17/951, DAP17/953, DAP17/955, DAP17/972, DAP17/975, DAP17/976.
Mr Frank Sviatko representing Petone Planning Action Group presented submission DAP17/861. He said that the Petone Sporstville Group should be asked to liaise with the P2040 Group to incorporate the proposal into the P2040 vision.
Mr Graeme Ross representing Keep Lower Hutt Beautiful presented submission DAP17/983.
Mr Peter Chrisp representing Summerset Group Holdings Limited presented submission DAP17/938.
In response to questions from members, Mr Chrisp advised that the Boulcott Street and High Street intersection was already listed on the deficiency database and he did not consider it possible to impose an upgrade of the intersection as part of a resource consent. He said that Summerset Group Holdings Limited was open to further discussions regarding the matter.
The following actions were agreed:
· Members asked for an update in regard to the future needs and demands of parking in the Central Business District and Petone; and
· DAP17/608 Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) Lower Hutt – officers to report back on community funding options for CAB Lower Hutt including Hubs and libraries.
Mr Tom Bennion presented submission DAP17/1127.
Mr Alan Webb presented submission DAP17/1087. He expressed concern regarding the possible closing of the Riverbank car park. He considered that the CBD would suffer from the closure.
Mr Phil Benge presented submission DAP17/1204.
In response to a question from a member, Mr Benge asked that the entranceway at Greenwood Park, Eastbourne be upgraded.
Cr Cousins asked that the maintenance of the entranceway to Greenwood Park, Eastbourne be investigated and the gift of the park be acknowledged.
Mr Michael Gray presented submission DAP17/1066.
Mayor Wallace noted that Council’s CBD Taskforce Group met with business and building owners and asked that Mr Gray be added to the Group’s list.
The meeting adjourned at 3.23pm and reconvened at 3.45pm.
Ms Keri Brown presented submission DAP17/1224. She said that homelessness in the City was a problem and people were living in cars, garages and illegally in churches. She asked that Urban Plus Ltd be more involved in housing rentals.
Ms Ginny Andersen, Labour Candidate Hutt South presented submissions DAP17/813-1 and DAP17/813-2. She said that the wharves were an iconic part of the City’s history and the majority of people would like them retained. She advised that there was a lack of housing and increased house prices in the City. She further said that the Labour Party had promised to develop 400 houses in the City. She considered that there should be a closer relationship between central government and local government with regard to housing issues.
Mr Chris Hay presented submission DAP/774. He asked Council to improve its project management for future projects, such as Riverlink, to avoid cost over-runs. He further asked that Council review the drainage infrastructure with respect to pressure from infill housing.
Ms Evelyn Richter presented submission DAP17/1023. She said that Council needed to invest in roading infrastructure for earthquake preparedness.
Deputy Mayor Bassett left the meeting at 4.30pm.
Ms Sally Nicholl and Ms Dina Awarau representing Hutt Union and Community Health Service (HUCHS) presented submission DAP17/982. They said that HUCHS was a living wage employer and asked Council to also support the living wage.
Ms Muriel Tunoho representing Hutt Valley Living Wage presented submission DAP17/220. She asked Council to become a living wage employer and asked Council’s Chief Executive to work with Living Wage Hutt Valley.
Ms Margot Fry and Ms Michelle Caldwell representing Wainuiomata Rural Community Association presented submission DAP17/812. They asked Council to fund a trial in Wainuiomata for a diverter which would divert floating rubbish out of water ways.
Deputy Mayor Bassett rejoined the meeting at 4.55pm.
Mr Ian Dallas representing Wellington Rugby Referees Association presented submission DAP17/969. He asked for funding to support volunteer rugby referees.
Deputy Mayor Bassett and Cr Milne left the meeting at 5.10pm.
Ms Gwen Isaac representing Residents for a Safe Korokoro Road presented submission DAP17/150. She asked Council to provide a safe footpath with a barrier for a 1.5km stretch of Korokoro Road, similar to the footpath in Wairere Road.
Mr John Welch presented submission DAP17/1130. He advised that the community had a strong desire to either keep the Point Howard wharf in its present state or to refurbish it. He noted that demolition of the Point Howard wharf had been discussed in 1999 and had been considered to be problematic as the piles were drilled into the aquifer and removal could cause leakage in the artesian water supply.
The following actions were agreed:
· DAP17/1224 Keri Brown – officers to investigate developing a coordinated approach to homelessness with regard to policy and community services and to provide an update on housing data in Wainuiomata;
· DAP17/813-1 and DAP17/813-2 Ms Ginny Anderson – officers to investigate tiny homes for affordable housing;
· DAP17/220 Hutt Valley Living Wage – the Chief Executive to work with the Living Wage movement;
· DAP17/812 Wainuiomata Rural Community – Mayor Wallace asked officers to discuss a trial of waterways cross channel invention which clears rubbish from waterways and to consult with residents of Fitzherbert Road, Wainuiomata if Council was considering the development of in-flow research; and
· DAP17/150 Gwen Isaac – Mayor Wallace requested a report on the walkways in Korokoro Road and on substandard roads.
CONFIRMED as a true and correct record
Dated this 15th day of August 2017