TO: Chair and Members
Eastbourne Community Board
FROM: Craig Cottrill
DATE: 15 March 2017
SUBJECT: Proposed Mini Ramp
That the Community Board notes the contents of this report.
Purpose of Memorandum
1. The purpose of the Memorandum is to inform the Community Board of progress with the proposed Eastbourne mini whisper ramp.
2. The Board has recently been approached by the Eastbourne Skate Ramp Committee (the Committee) interested in establishing a mini whisper ramp in Eastbourne.
3. The Committee is well organised, motivated and driven.
4. A whisper ramp is a ramp designed to cater for skaters, BMXers and scooter riders whilst creating the least possible amount of noise. The ramp would be packed with noise absorbing materials to minimise the impact on neighbours.
5. The Committee has conducted investigations, a survey and held a public meeting on the 29th of March. This has led the Committee to suggest that the whisper ramp be located on the tennis courts at the HW Shortt Recreation Ground. The ramp would be located on the site in such a way as to have little impact on other recreational activities.
6. To date the only negative comments have been concerns with noise. Most of the issues that have been raised could be resolved or mitigated.
7. While there are no specific noise rules that relate to HW Shortt Recreation Ground (General Recreation Activity Area), the maximum sound level shall not exceed Lmax75dBA during the hours 10.00pm - 7.00am, measured anywhere within the adjoining residential activity area. It is the Committee’s proposal that the ramp would be closed between 10.00pm and 7.00am at all times.
8. At this stage discussion about funding the whisper ramp is not considered to be required. The ramp could be funded on a 50/50 basis with funding coming from the community and existing Parks and Gardens budgets. If the community failed to find the required funding the project could be considered as part of the 2017/18 annual plan.
There are no appendices for this report.
Author: Craig Cottrill
Reserves Assets Manager, Parks and Gardens
Approved By: Bruce Hodgins
Divisional Manager, Parks and Gardens