15 December 2016
Report no: TRS2017/1/6
Te Whiti Grove, Korokoro - Proposed No Stopping At All Times Restrictions (Copy to: Petone Community Board)
Purpose of Report
1. The purpose of this report is to seek Council’s approval for the installation of No Stopping At All Times Restrictions in Te Whiti Grove, Korokoro as shown in Appendix 1 attached to this report.
That the Subcommittee recommends that Council approves the installation of No Stopping At All Times Restrictions in Te Whiti Grove, Korokoro as shown in Appendix 1 attached.
2. In October 2016, Council consulted residents of Te Whiti Grove, Korokoro about a proposal to install No Stopping At All Times Restrictions along the entire south side of the street in order to address a request received from a resident of Te Whiti Grove to improve parking etiquette and accessibility to the street, attached as Appendix 2 to the report.
3. Their concern was that at times cars park opposite one another on both sides of the street narrowing the carriageway and obstructing access for service and emergency vehicles.
4. The results of that consultation process showed that of the 13 respondents, seven were in support, five were against and one was undecided.
5. As part of the comments/feedback received, four residents suggested an alternative option with the No Stopping At All Times Restrictions on the south side of the road only extending past the vehicle access of Nº 15 and the rest of the restrictions installed on the north side of the road.
6. This second option, which retains two extra on road carparks, has been drawn up and consulted on, attached as Appendix 1 to the report.
7. The installation of No Stopping At All Times Restrictions as shown in Appendix 1 will ensure an adequate carriageway width for all vehicles accessing the Grove, including service and emergency vehicles, ensure that vehicles don’t park obstructing the footpath on the north side of the road and maximize the number of suitable on-street parking spaces in the area.
8. The options are:
i. To leave the area as it is without any restrictions and accept the occasional accessibility and obstruction issues will remain or,
ii. To install the proposed improvements and prevent any access obstruction, principally for service and emergency vehicles.
9. Consultation documents on the second option shown in Appendix 1 were delivered to the 20 directly affected properties from Nº 3 to 25 Te Whiti Grove.
· 13 (65%) questionnaires were returned:
̵ 10 (77%) in support of the proposal.
̵ 3 (23%) object to the proposal.
§ The reasons given by the objectors were:
̵ We don’t think this is an issue that requires permanent intervention by Council. The proposal is a permanent solution for a very occasional issue.
§ Officers’ response:
̵ A clear majority of residents believe that it happens often enough that they support something should be done.
̵ It is important to maintain access for emergency vehicles at all times.
10. At the time of printing the agenda, the Petone Community Board meeting had not been held. The Board’s resolution will be separately circulated.
11. These restrictions are made pursuant to the provisions of the Hutt City Council Traffic Bylaw 2007 (Amended 20 November 2014).
12. These changes can be funded from Council’s 2016/2017 road markings budget.
13. In making this recommendation, officers have given careful consideration to the purpose of local government in section 10 of the Local Government Act 2002. Officers believe that this recommendation falls within the purpose of the local government in that it improves accessibility for the benefit of all road users. It does this in a way that is cost-effective because it utilises standard road markings.
Te Whiti Grove - Proposed No Stopping At All Times Restrictions 16/1415
Te Whiti Grove - Proposed No Stopping At All Times Restrictions 16/1415 (2)
Author: Sylvio Leal
Reviewed By: Zackary Moodie
Approved By: Lyle Earl
Traffic Assets Manager