14 December 2016
Report no: TRS2017/1/5
288 Jackson Street, Petone - Proposed P15 Parking Restriction (Copy to: Petone Community Board)
Purpose of Report
1. The purpose of this report is to seek Council’s approval for the replacement of a P60 Parking Restriction with a P15 Parking Restriction outside N 288 Jackson Street as shown in Appendix 1 attached to this report.
That the Subcommittee recommends that Council approves the replacement of a P60 Parking Restriction with a P15 Parking Restriction outside Nº 288 Jackson Street as shown in Appendix 1 attached.
2. Council has received a request from the Jackson Street Salvation Army, at Nº 288 Jackson Street, to change the P60 Parking Restriction outside their shop to a P15 Parking Restriction.
3. The concern expressed is that the store’s delivery truck calls in several times during the day and, as parks in the vicinity of the store are often occupied, the driver may double park reducing visibility to pedestrians on the pedestrian crossing causing a safety hazard.
4. The replacement of a P60 Parking Restriction with a P15 Parking Restriction as proposed will increase parking turnover in that one car park therefore increasing the likelihood it will be available for the delivery truck.
5. The options are:
i. To leave the area as it is with the existing P60 Parking Restrictions and accept the safety hazard will remain or,
ii. To install the proposed changes and reduce the likelihood of the safety hazard occurring.
6. A plan of the proposal and a petition form was forwarded to Che Cormack, manager of Salvation Army at Nº 288 Jackson Street, who consulted his eight directly affected neighbouring businesses at Nºs 237 to 251 and Nº 284 to 294 Jackson Street.
· Seven (88%) of the directly affected businesses support the proposal.
· One (12%) directly affected business objects to the proposal.
7. At the time of printing the agenda, the Petone Community Board meeting had not been held. The Board’s resolution will be separately circulated.
8. These restrictions are made pursuant to the provisions of the Hutt City Council Traffic Bylaw 2007 (Amended 20 November 2014).
9. These changes can be funded from Council’s 2016/2017 operational budget.
10. In making this recommendation, officers have given careful consideration to the purpose of local government in section 10 of the Local Government Act 2002. Officers believe that this recommendation falls within the purpose of the local government in that it improves safety for the benefit of all road users. It does this in a way that is cost-effective because it utilises standards signage.
288 Jackson Street - Proposed P15 Parking Restrictions 16/1413
Author: Sylvio Leal
Reviewed By: Zackary Moodie
Approved By: Lyle Earl
Traffic Assets Manager