13 December 2016
Report no: TRS2017/1/2
Onehuka Road, Tirohanga - Proposed No Stopping At All Times Restrictions
Purpose of Report
1. The purpose of this report is to seek Council’s approval for the installation of No Stopping At All Times Restrictions in Onehuka Road, Tirohanga attached as Appendix 1 to the report.
That the Subcommittee recommends that Council approves the installation of No Stopping At All Times Restrictions in Onehuka Road, Tirohanga attached as Appendix 1 to the report.
2. Council received a request from a resident of Onehuka Road, Tirohanga to improve parking etiquette and accessibility to the street.
3. The concern expressed is that at times cars park on the street narrowing the carriageway and obstructing access for service and emergency vehicles.
4. The installation of No Stopping At All Times Restrictions as proposed will ensure an adequate carriageway width for all vehicles accessing the grove, including service and emergency vehicles.
5. The options are:
i. To leave the area as it is without any restrictions and accept the occasional accessibility issue will remain or,
ii. To install the proposed improvements and prevent any access obstruction, principally for service and emergency vehicles.
6. Consultation documents were delivered to the 24 directly affected properties from Nº 2 to 29 Onehuka Road and Nº 45 Tirohanga Road.
· 16 (67%) questionnaires were returned.
̵ 11 (69%) in support the proposal.
̵ 5 (31%) object to the proposal.
§ The reasons given by the objectors were:
̵ Any problems with parking in the street have only been occasional and therefore do not require regulations and common sense usually prevails.
§ Officers’ response:
̵ A clear majority of the residents believe that it happens often enough that they support something should be done.
̵ It is important to maintain access for emergency vehicles at all times.
7. These restrictions are made pursuant to the provisions of the Hutt City Council Traffic Bylaw 2007 (Amended 20 November 2014).
8. These changes can be funded from Council’s 2016/2017 road markings budget.
9. In making this recommendation, officers have given careful consideration to the purpose of local government in section 10 of the Local Government Act 2002. Officers believe that this recommendation falls within the purpose of the local government in that it ensures access for emergency vehicles at all times. It does this in a way that is cost-effective because it utilises standard road markings.
Onehuka Road - Proposed No Stopping At All Times Restrictions 16/1408
Author: Sylvio Leal
Reviewed By: Zackary Moodie
Approved By: Lyle Earl
Traffic Assets Manager