65 13 February 2017
13 December 2016
Report no: TRS2017/1/1
191 Dowse Drive, Maungaraki - Proposed No Stopping At All Times Restrictions
Purpose of Report
1. The purpose of this report is to seek Council’s approval for the installation of No Stopping At All Times Restrictions outside Nº 191 Dowse Drive, Maungaraki attached as Appendix 1 to the report.
That the Subcommittee recommends that Council approves the installation of No Stopping At All Times Restrictions outside Nº 191 Dowse Drive, Maungaraki attached as Appendix 1 to the report.
2. Council has received a request from the resident and owner of No’s 191 and 191A Dowse Drive to improve road safety in the vicinity of the property.
3. The resident is concerned that at times cars park in the short section between the driveways of Nº 191 and Nº 191A, encroaching on the properties’ vehicle accesses and also obstructing visibility for drivers exiting the driveway.
4. The resident also notes that with the bend on the road and at times vehicles exceeding the speed limit make it difficult for drivers to judge an appropriate time to exit their properties safely.
5. The installation of No Stopping At All Times Restrictions as proposed will ensure an adequate clearance from the driveways and improve safety for drivers exiting the properties.
6. The options are:
i. To leave the area as it is without any restrictions and accept the safety hazard will remain or,
ii. To install the proposed improvements and reduce the safety hazard.
7. A plan of the proposal and a petition form was forwarded to the resident of Nº 191 Dowse Drive, who consulted with the resident at Nº 193 Dowse Drive.
· Both residents support the proposal.
8. These restrictions are made pursuant to the provisions of the Hutt City Council Traffic Bylaw 2007 (Amended 20 November 2014).
9. These changes can be funded from Council’s 2016/2017 road markings budget.
10. In making this recommendation, officers have given careful consideration to the purpose of local government in section 10 of the Local Government Act 2002. Officers believe that this recommendation falls within the purpose of the local government in that it improves safety for the benefit of all road users. It does this in a way that is cost-effective because it utilises standard road markings.
191 Dowse Drive - Proposed No Stopping At All Times Restrictions 16/1407
Author: Sylvio Leal
Reviewed By: Zackary Moodie
Approved By: Lyle Earl
Traffic Assets Manager