11 October 2016
Report no: TRS2016/5/239
Waterloo Road - Proposed P120 Parking Restrictions
Purpose of Report
1. The purpose of this report is to seek Council’s approval for the installation of P120 Parking Restrictions in Waterloo Road as shown in Appendix 1 attached to this report.
That the Subcommittee recommends that Council approves the installation of P120 Parking Restrictions in Waterloo Road attached as Appendix 1 to the report.
2. Council has received a request from the resident in Waterloo Road to improve parking turnover in the vicinity of the property.
3. They are concerned that long term parkers often use the on street parks for the entire day therefore leaving no parks available for residents and their visitors.
4. The management of on street parking often requires parking restrictions to balance the competing demands for both all day parking and shorter term parking.
5. The installation of three P120 Parking Restrictions as proposed will increase the parking turnover on these car parks improving parking availability for residents and their visitors in the area.
6. The options are:
i. To leave the area as it is without any restrictions and accept that the parking issue will remain or,
ii. To install the proposed changes and improve the level of service for residents and their visitors.
7. The request was made and is supported by the resident of Nº 176 Waterloo Road.
8. A plan of the proposal and a petition form was forwarded to the resident of Nº 176 Waterloo Road, who consulted her neighbor at Nº 184.
· Both residents signed a petition in support of the proposal.
9. Council officers have also consulted St Bernard’s College who object to the proposal because the carparks are often used by teachers working at the school.
10. These restrictions are made pursuant to the provisions of the Hutt City Council Traffic Bylaw 2007 (amended 20 November 2014).
11. The improvements can be funded from Council’s 2016/2017 operational budget.
12. In making this recommendation, officers have given careful consideration to the purpose of local government in section 10 of the Local Government Act 2002. Officers believe that this recommendation falls within the purpose of the local government. It does this in a way that is cost-effective because it utilises standard signage.
Waterloo Road - Proposed P120 Parking Restrictions 39.2016
Author: Sylvio Leal
Reviewed By: Zackary Moodie
Approved By: Lyle Earl
Traffic Assets Manager