03 October 2016
Report no: TRS2016/5/241
108 Dowse Drive, Maungaraki - Proposed No Stopping At All Times Restrictions
Purpose of Report
1. The purpose of this report is to seek Council’s approval for the installation of No Stopping At All Times Restrictions in Dowse Drive, Maungaraki attached as Appendix 1 to the report.
That the Subcommittee recommends that Council approves the installation of No Stopping At All Times Restrictions in Dowse Drive, Maungaraki attached as Appendix 1 to the report.
2. Council has received a request from the resident of Nº 108 Dowse Drive to improve road safety in the vicinity of the property.
3. The resident’s concern is that at times a car parks between the driveways to Nº 108 and Nº 106, encroaching too close to the property’s vehicle access, therefore forcing drivers exiting the driveway to reverse into the middle of the carriageway causing a traffic hazard.
4. The installation of No Stopping At All Times Restrictions as proposed will ensure an adequate clearance from the driveways therefore improving safety for drivers exiting the two properties.
5. The options are:
i. To leave the area as it is without any restrictions and accept the safety hazard will remain or,
ii. To install the proposed improvements and reduce the safety hazard.
6. A plan of the proposal and a petition form was forwarded to the resident of Nº 108 Dowse Drive, who consulted their neighbours at Nºs 106 and 104.
· The residents of Nº 106 asked to extend the No Stopping At All Times Restrictions an extra meter south of their vehicle access.
· A petition form was returned with three signatures in support of the proposal from the three properties.
7. These restrictions are made pursuant to the provisions of the Hutt City Council Traffic Bylaw 2007 (Amended 20 November 2014).
8. These changes can be funded from Council’s 2016/2017 road markings budget.
9. In making this recommendation, officers have given careful consideration to the purpose of local government in section 10 of the Local Government Act 2002. Officers believe that this recommendation falls within the purpose of the local government in that it improves safety for the benefit of all road users. It does this in a way that is cost-effective because it utilises standard road markings.
108 Dowse Drive - Proposed No Stopping At All Times Restrictions 40.2016
Author: Sylvio Leal
Reviewed By: Zackary Moodie
Approved By: Lyle Earl
Traffic Assets Manager