03 October 2016
Report no: TRS2016/5/240
Vincent Street - Proposed P180 Parking Restrictions
Purpose of Report
1. The purpose of this report is to seek Council’s approval for the installation of P180 Parking Restrictions in Vincent Street as shown in Appendix 1 attached to this report.
That the Subcommittee recommends that Council approves the installation of P180 Parking Restrictions in Vincent Street attached as Appendix 1 to the report.
2. Council has received a request from a resident of Vincent Street to improve parking turnover along the street.
3. The concern expressed is due to the high parking demand in the area, all the on-street parks are often used by long term parkers therefore leaving no parks available for residents and their visitors.
4. The resident advises she is mobility impaired and relies on taxis for transport. As she can’t walk far, the unavailability of parks in the vicinity of the property makes it hard for the taxis to pick her up and drop her off.
5. The resident also advises that she receives daily visits from a carer, who also has difficulties finding a park in the vicinity of the property therefore having to park some distance away.
6. The resident has provided a letter from a Doctor confirming her disability issues and asking that Council consider making changes to the parking to help her.
7. The installation of some P180 Parking Restrictions in Vincent Street as proposed will increase parking turnover in the area and should ensure that there is at least one carpark available most of the time. It will also improve the level of service for other residents and their visitors.
8. The options are:
i. To leave the area as it is without any restrictions or,
ii. To install the proposed parking changes to improve the level of service for the disabled resident and other residents and their visitors.
9. Consultation documents on the proposal were delivered to the six directly affected properties from Nº 15 to 21 and Nº 10 and 12 Vincent Street.
· 4 (67%) questionnaires were returned
̵ 3 (75%) in support of the proposal and
̵ 1 (25%) objecting to the proposal.
§ The reason given for the objection was:
̵ The requester always objects to any proposal and she is pretty fit as she mows her own lawns.
10. These restrictions are made pursuant to the provisions of the Hutt City Council Traffic Bylaw 2007 (Amended 20 November 2014).
11. These changes can be funded from Council’s 2016/2017 operational budget.
12. In making this recommendation, officers have given careful consideration to the purpose of local government in section 10 of the Local Government Act 2002. Officers believe that this recommendation falls within the purpose of the local government. It does this in a way that is cost-effective because it utilises standards signage.
Vincent Street - Proposed P180 Parking Restrictions 38.2016
Author: Sylvio Leal
Reviewed By: Zackary Moodie
Approved By: Lyle Earl
Traffic Assets Manager