25 January 2017
Report no: PCB2017/1/11
John Street and Richmond Street, Petone - Proposed P120 Parking Restrictions
Purpose of Report
1. The purpose of this report is to seek Council’s approval for the installation of P120 Parking Restrictions in John Street and Richmond Street, Petone as shown in Appendix 1 attached to this report.
That the Subcommittee recommends that Council approves the installation of P120 Parking Restrictions in John Street and Richmond Street, Petone as shown in Appendix 1 attached.
2. In September 2016, Council consulted the residents of John Street and some of the residents of Nelson Street and Richmond Street on a proposal to install angle parks in John Street and P120 Parking Restrictions in Nelson Street to address a request received from a resident of Nelson Street for more on street parking in the area.
3. The consultation results showed there was not sufficient support for the proposal.
4. As part of the comments/feedback received, a resident of John Street has made a request to install P120 Restrictions near the intersection of John Street and Richmond Street to improve parking turnover in the area.
5. The concern expressed is that due to the high parking demand in the area, most of the on-street parks are often used by long term parkers leaving no parks available for residents and their visitors.
6. The resident also stated that they run a business from home in John Street and often customers are unable to find a park in the vicinity of the property.
7. The management of on street parking often requires parking restrictions to balance the competing demands for both all day parking and shorter term parking.
8. The installation of four P120 Parking Restrictions as proposed will increase parking turnover on these car parks improving parking availability in the area.
9. The options are:
i. To leave the area as it is without any restrictions and accept that the parking issue will remain or,
ii. To install the proposed changes and improve the level of service for residents and their visitors.
10. Consultation documents were again delivered to all 11 properties that were previously consulted – No. 2 to No.6 John Street, No 123 Richmond Street, and Nºs 127, 129, 131, 133, 135, 144 and 146 Nelson Street – and also to the properties at Nºs 121 and 124 Richmond Street.
· 5 (38%) questionnaires were returned, all in support of the proposal.
- 4 (80%) in support of the proposal
- 1 (20%) objecting to the proposal
§ The reason given by the objector was
- The proposal will benefit one household and put extra pressure on the rest of the street. Either all of John Street and/or Richmond Street should be included or not at all.
§ Officers response:
- The original proposal included angle parking in John Street along with more P120 parks in Nelson Street which was not supported by the residents.
11. These restrictions are made pursuant to the provisions of the Hutt City Council Traffic Bylaw 2007 (Amended 20 November 2014).
12. These changes can be funded from Council’s 2016/2017 operational budget.
13. In making this recommendation, officers have given careful consideration to the purpose of local government in section 10 of the Local Government Act 2002. Officers believe that this recommendation falls within the purpose of the local government. It does this in a way that is cost-effective because it utilizes standards signage.
John St and Richmond St - Proposed P120 Parking Restrictions 16/1412
Author: Sylvio Leal
Reviewed By: Zackary Moodie
Approved By: Lyle Earl
Traffic Assets Manager