25 January 2017
Report no: PCB2017/1/9
Burnham Street and Plunket Ave, Petone - Proposed Give Way Controls
Purpose of Report
1. The purpose of this report is to seek Council’s approval for the installation of Give Way Controls and associated No Stopping At All Times Restrictions at the intersections of Burnham Street with Plunket Ave and Plunket Ave with South Street as shown in Appendices 1 and 2 attached to the report.
That the Subcommittee recommends that Council:
(i) approves the installation of a Give Way Control and associated No Stopping At All Times Restrictions at the intersection of Burnham Street with Plunket Avenue as shown in Appendix 1 attached to the report; and
(ii) approves the installation of a Give Way Control and associated No Stopping At All Times Restrictions at the intersection of Plunket Avenue with South Street as shown in Appendix 2 attached to the report.
2. Council received a request from a resident of Plunket Avenue to improve road safety in the vicinity of the intersection with Burnham Street.
3. The concern expressed is that drivers are treating the intersection like a corner and not giving way to traffic along Plunket Avenue.
4. The resident also notes that there have been several near misses as a result of drivers pulling out of Burnham Street in front of oncoming traffic along Plunket Avenue.
5. The area has been experiencing increases in traffic volumes due to the new sports fields in Bracken Street and the Bob Scott Retirement Village in Graham Street.
6. Council officers have investigated the area and, for consistency, recommend that the intersection of Plunket Avenue with South Street is also addressed.
7. The installation of Give Way Controls as proposed will reinforce the priority for traffic at these intersections and therefore improve safety.
8. The options are:
i. To leave the intersections as they are without any controls and accept the risk or,
ii. To install the proposed safety improvements.
9. The request was made and is supported by the residents of Nº31 Plunket Avenue.
10. For the intersection of Burnham Street with Plunket Avenue:
· Consultation documents were delivered to the five directly affected properties at Nº 27, 29, 30, 32 and 34 Plunket Avenue.
̵ Two (40%) questionnaires in support of the proposal were returned.
11. For the intersection of Plunket Ave with South Street:
· Consultation documents were delivered to the five directly affected properties at Nº 1 and 2 Plunket Avenue and Nº 16, 18 and 20 South Street.
̵ One (20%) questionnaire in support of the proposal has been returned.
12. These restrictions are made pursuant to the provisions of the Hutt City Council Traffic Bylaw 2007 (Amended 20 November 2014).
13. These changes can be funded from Council’s 2016/2017 road markings and signs budget.
14. In making this recommendation, officers have given careful consideration to the purpose of local government in section 10 of the Local Government Act 2002. Officers believe that this recommendation falls within the purpose of the local government in that it improves safety for the benefit of all road users. It does this in a way that is cost-effective because it utilises standard road markings and signs to minimize the likelihood of accidents.
Burnham Street and Plunket Ave - Proposed Give Way Controls A1 41.2016
Burnham Street and Plunket Ave - Proposed Give Way Controls A2 41.2016
Author: Sylvio Leal
Reviewed By: Zackary Moodie
Approved By: Lyle Earl
Traffic Assets Manager