Weetbix TRYathlon - Impact Report
The Weet-Bix TRYAthlon 2017 – Huia Street and Huia Place: Proposed Temporary Road Closure Impact Report
1. Description of Event
Carla Steed, the City Event Manager, has applied to temporarily close Huia Street and Huia Place on Thursday 16 March 2017 from 5:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for the Weet-Bix TRYAthlon 2017.
2. City Promotions Support
The City Promotions Division has assessed the proposed event with regard to its contribution towards Council’s strategies and policies and the event is consistent with the objectives and outcomes of those strategies.
3. Proposal Notice
The public notice that the Council was proposing to consider this closure was published in The Hutt News on Tuesday 14 February 2017.
No objections were received in response to the public proposal notice.
5. Traffic Impact Assessment
The proposed closure for this event will not result in the road being closed for an aggregate of more than 31 days this year, i.e. it does not exceed the Local Government of not more than 31 days in any year.
In the opinion of Lyle Earl, Traffic Asset Manager, acting as Council’s Traffic Engineer, the proposed closure, if implemented according to the plans provided, is not likely to impede traffic unreasonably.
These events have become well established in Hutt City and they appear to be generally well accepted by the public who accept the traffic effects as a reasonable trade-off for the benefits provided by the events.
In this particular instance there should be little in the way of wider network effects because of the day of the week and the minor nature of the road involved.
I am of the view therefore that the proposed closure will be acceptable in terms of its traffic related effects subject to a high degree of awareness being achieved through advertising and a high standard of on street signage and traffic control at the closure points.
Traffic Asset Manager
6. Conditions of Closure
Subsequent to approval the organiser will be written to with the standard conditions that will apply, being:
· The closure shall apply only to the roads for the hours as approved.
· The applicant shall allow access for all emergency vehicles.
· The applicant will act as directed by the Police or by officers of the Road Controlling Authority (HCC). A contact name for the Police is given to the applicant.
· The applicant will be responsible for ensuring closed roads are left in a suitable clean and tidy state following completion of the event. A contact name and phone number for Intergroup Ltd., Councils Street Cleaning Contractor, is also given to the applicant.
Appendix 1A: Huia Street and Huia Place – the Weet-Bix TRYAthlon Temporary Road Closure Impact Plan 2017 – DOC/17/23778
Author: Alan Hopkinson, Senior Traffic Engineer
Reviewed by: Carla Steed, City Events Manager
Approved by: John Gloag, Divisional Manager – Road and Traffic