02 August 2017
Report no: CDC2017/1/63
Hutt Valley Chamber of Commerce Six Monthly Report to 31 December 2016
Purpose of Report
1. The report summarises the Hutt Valley Chamber of Commerce (HVCC) performance against agreed targets for the six months to 31 December 2016.
2. The report has been prepared on the basis of information provided by HVCC and officer input.
3. Representatives of HVCC will be in attendance to speak to their report.
It is recommended that the Committee receives the report.
4. Council contracts with HVCC and allocates funding for specific services and outcomes identified in Council’s Economic Development Plan 2015-2020 and to compliment other Council work programmes and strategies.
5. In Financial Year (FY) 2016/2017 funding for services totaled $190,000 (same as prior years) with $10,000 provided as sponsorship of the HVCC Business Awards.
6. The HVCC reporting for the six months to 31 December 2016 is attached as Appendix 1 to this report.
7. Highlights for the six months to 31 December 2016 include:
· A new president, Neville Hyde being elected on the stepping down of Helen Down after 6 years in the role. Mark Skelly elected as Vice President.
· Business Awards function held November 2016 – over 450 business, community and government representatives attended the largest event yet to celebrate business achievements.
· Working with Council to encourage Government to enact emergency funding support for businesses in the Hutt Valley impacted by the November earthquake, including meetings with MBIE and MSD officials.
· Working with Young Enterprise Trust to develop a new event to introduce business mentors to teams from Hutt Valley schools.
8. The Council agreed to continue contracting the HVCC for services in FY2016/17 in support of the new Economic Development Plan 2015-2020. A new work-plan has been developed for this purpose, agreed with the Chair and deputy Chair of this Committee and is the basis for the attached progress report to this Committee.
9. The HVC C has submitted its report for the six months to 31 December 2016 for the Committee’s consideration and is attached as Appendix 1 to the report. Representatives of HVCC will be in attendance to speak to their report.
10. There are no legal considerations.
11. There are no financial considerations.
12. In making this recommendation, officers have given careful consideration to the purpose of local government in section 10 of the Local Government Act 2002. Officers believe that this recommendation falls within the purpose of the local government in that it furthers the economic development of the city. It does this in a way that is cost-effective because it makes use and leverages off existing resources in the business community.
Report on Work Plan HVCoC 2016-2017 - as 31 Dec. 2016
Author: Gary Craig
Divisional Manager City Development
Approved By: Kim Kelly
General Manager, Strategic Services