13 August 2016
Report no: CDC2016/4/212
Jackson Street Programme Report 12 Monthly Update to 30 June 2016
Purpose of Report
1. This report summarises the Jackson Street Programme (JSP) performance for the period to 30 June 2016.
2. The report has been prepared on the basis of information provided by the JSP and officer input.
3. Representatives of the JSP will be in attendance to speak to their report.
It is recommended that the Committee receives the report.
4. The Jackson Street Programme (JSP) is an independent membership organisation formed as an Incorporated Society.
5. It is primarily funded by a separate rate levied on its members, business properties along Jackson Street, Petone.
6. Its performance against an adopted business plan is monitored by its elected board and also reported to Council.
7. The JSP Report for the period to 30 June 2016 is attached as Appendix 1.
8. Highlights of the reporting period include:
· Continued strong governance
· Increasing networking and event activity for members
· Broader engagement with Council on a range of matters
9. The Committee has requested that the JSP report 12 monthly. The next report to this Committee will be for the period ending 30 June 2017, which is the end of the financial year.
10. The board remains broadly representative of the range of retail and other sectors represented in the street – governance remains strong.
11. A regular series of networking events is now well established.
12. Continued focus on a few key events is seeing increased participation in and growing support, including external financial support, for them.
13. Council officers’ increased engagement with JSP is more effectively addressing issues on the street e.g. security, traffic, events etc.
14. The JSP has submitted its report to 30 June 2016 for the Committee’s consideration, attached as Appendix 1 to the report. Representatives of the JSP will be in attendance at the meeting to speak to their report.
15. There are no legal considerations.
16. There are no financial considerations.
17. In making this recommendation, officers have given careful consideration to the purpose of local government in section 10 of the Local Government Act 2002. Officers believe that this recommendation falls within the purpose of the local government in that it furthers the future economic development of the city.. It does this in a way that is cost-effective because it makes use of and leverages off existing resources within the business community.
JSP report to Council - Year Ending 30 June 2016
Author: Gary Craig
Divisional Manager City Development
Approved By: Kim Kelly
General Manager, Strategic Services